Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Logic Game Troubles

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Free Trial
in Logic Games 107 karma
The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @generationhar The 7Sage fool proof method is what you should use. It takes time to get good at logic games, but it is 100% doable with this method in the link @montaha.rizeq posted.

When I began studying for the LSAT I was missing -20 or something ridiculous of the LG section.
    It was by far my worst section and I had that same problem as I went through the LG Bible. I started to get so discouraged by LG, I started to accept that on game day I would miss at least 12. So that means I had to go -0 on everything else. I remember I'd get good at a game and then the next one would be a whole new battle. Thats when I found the fool proof method. Let me explain why it is different and why it works...

By using the fool proof method you get a lot of practice memorizing inferences. You'll start to see that a lot of games are very similar and the same inferences / set ups you commit to memory end up being very helpful. Because although the game will be "new" you will have done one just like it and remember the inferences!

Also, I'm not sure if you used 7Sages for LG, I know many people watch the free videos. I always used to and it helped a lot. However, I would always hear JY reference the lessons if we were having trouble with something or were too slow in your set up. Well one day I decided to check those lessons out. It was the best LSAT decision I made to be honest. And if you're having trouble with LG like I was, I'd say check those free videos out and see if you like the way JY solves the games. If you do, check out the lessons in the course. If you already have a good way of solving the games, I'd still recommend using the fool proof method to a perfect logic games score.

Just remember to give yourself time and make sure you have a good handle on logic. This way you can diagram rules without even having to think about it.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Free Trial
    107 karma
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @generationhar That is correct. You watch the video, then try from memory to reproduce those inferences.
    107 karma
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    @generationhar said:
    Do you suggest I copy 10 for each one I struggle with? Moreover, do you think I should start from Linear to Advanced Linear to Grouping, etc.?
    Yep, make sure they're clean copies. And do the ones you struggle with, even if it's from the beginning. LG is the (supposedly) hardest section, yet easiest to improve on. All the best :)

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @generationhar No problemo! Yes, start with 10 copies. For some more difficult games, it took me like 12 copies or more to get it perfect and under time. But I think 10 of each is perfect place to start.

I think it is best to start with simple linear and work up to advanced linear. It's the natural progression anyways. And then after you have a good hold on the linear games, move to grouping. Grouping tends to be the most challenging for a lot of folks and require many of the skills you'll cultivate learning the linear ordering games.

Something I like to do that helped me get better was to only watch how JY sets up the problem/diagrams the game. Then I would try to see if I could solve it and figure out the rest on my own. Eventually I'd go back and watch it to make sure I did it all right, but it did help me to figure it out on my own a bit faster doing it that way.
    107 karma
  • Nanchito-1-1Nanchito-1-1 Alum Member
    edited August 2016 1762 karma
    Only during br. During br you try your best to get your circled ones right. If you just dont get it, you just dont get it and view the vid, and try again. If you do get it and it's a timing issue or something you overlooked, try again later. Have a few games or sections in your cycle.
    1762 karma
    But if you totally got a game right and under time, it still helps to compare your and jy's strategy sometimes. Perhaps it may even be the same!
  • hannah526hannah526 Member
    89 karma
    Good point!
  • inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma
    I can do the typical thing and tell you to sign up for 7Sage since we do have a pretty great curriculum, but I'm sure you already know that and don't need to hear it from the Admin guy.

Besides all of the great advice you're getting from the smart people above (and possibly below) me, there's also Pacifico's LG Strategy: https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/2737
    107 karma
    edited August 2016 1762 karma
    @generationhar said:
    This dilemma is specifically for linear games, but I imagine it will be the case for grouping games. In simulated PTs, I sometimes cannot even complete one game.

I would advise you to stop drilling n PTing until you get familiar with your fundamentals. Understand what notations are useful to you and what strategies you should use for each game. Additionally if you're not too familiar with writing out logic, get to a place where you can translate something in a matter of seconds. What kind of materials are you using?
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27848 karma
    Good catch @nanchito . I hadn't noticed that. You definitely got to quit PTing @generationhar .

As far as drilling, a big part of the challenge of games is identifying the game type and knowing how to set up your game board. So I'd recommend just drilling each type until you're comfortable and then switching to whole sections. If you haven't already found them, make sure to check out the 7Sage explanations on YouTube. They're much more powerful in tandem with the curriculum, but hey, free explanations for every LG ever. They're also a great preview of the teaching style for if you have given any consideration to joining 7Sage.
    107 karma
    107 karma
  • namegoesherenamegoeshere Member
    35 karma
    Hi there, I'm helping a friend in logic games as well and she had the same problem when she first started. I believe you problem is that you don't understand how the the rules work together to place the pieces onto the board. You might be confused because it seems as if there's a lot going on at the same time and you don't know where to start. The 7sage fool proof method is great because by doing the games over and over, you'll build up an instinct on how to approach game and connect the rules. One thing I'd like to point out is that don't simply memorize the inferences of a game; memorize how you got those inferences (think abstractly).
    Furthermore, I would advise that you focus on linear games for now because they're usually the easiest. Once you're more familiar with how rules work together, then move onto grouping and others.
    When I first started doing logic games, I had no idea how to do them at all. After lots of practice and repetition, I now finish game sections in about 25 minutes (always under 30min).
    If you can provide me with your thought process for a game, I can give you more specific advice in areas you're lacking in.
    107 karma
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    Logic games are incredibly repetitive, and to a large degree predictable. The primary difference between games is how the creator of the game hides the inferences. Do them over and over, and fool proof them. Eventually you'll look back and say, "I can't believe that X months ago I wouldn't have noticed that inference"
    107 karma