Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Memory Method on actual PTs?

bjphillips5bjphillips5 Alum Member
I used the Memory Method and it greatly improved my RC ability, but I haven't done it on PTs thinking it'll too much time to forfeit.

Do any of use continue to use the Memory Method on PTs by covering the passage and recalling the main point of all the paragraphs?

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    Yup. It works just as well on full-time PTs. So long as you've practiced it enough on timed RC sections, I think it will serve you well.

One way I was able to practice the memory method without burning through real LSAT material was using Scientific American articles. But that is because Science RC is my weakest, so I am sure you could use whatever. The Economist is another possible publication, for example.
  • runiggyrunruniggyrun Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2481 karma
    I do an abbreviated version of the Memory Method for RC - that is I stop for a few seconds to summarize the paragraph before moving on to the next one (in my head, not on paper). I don't think it uses up too much time. I wouldn't do a "full" memory method which involves writing down a summary of the passage - I think the time spent would outweigh the benefits in that case.
  • DumbHollywoodActorDumbHollywoodActor Alum Inactive ⭐
    7468 karma
    @bjphillips5 said:
    Do any of use continue to use the Memory Method on PTs by covering the passage and recalling the main point of all the paragraphs?
    It’s the Phase 2 of the Memory Method (https://7sage.com/lesson/the-memory-method-for-improving-lsat-reading-comprehension/), in which you take about 20-30 seconds to say to yourself (not write, like @runiggyrun said) the main points of the passage. The goal is that for the structure questions (and even some detail questions) you won’t need to go back to the passage. So what it would look like on a video is you not reading nor looking at the questions, but just thinking. It’s actually a lot harder than it sounds because you have the clock ticking away.

That pause takes courage. It’s huge.

You also have to have the courage to recognize whether or not you really remember the main points because if you don’t, that means you really need to go back and keep reading. Going into the questions with a half-cocked understanding of the passage is a recipe for disaster. It’s like JY says for logic games, it’s always better to do the work up front rather than while you’re answering the questions and the clock is ticking.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @DumbHollywoodActor said:
    That pause takes courage. It’s huge.
    Truer words have never been spoken.
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    I use a modified version of it. Obviously I'm not flipping over my PT and trying to remember what I just read. Here is what I do:
    1) Read the paragraph
    2) Quickly summarize what I just read. If I can give a detailed summary, great. If not, a general outline of the paragraph will suffice.
    3) Repeat for the remaining paragraphs
    4) In under 10 seconds, piece everything together and answer the following question, "So what exactly did the author want me to take away from all of this?"
    5) Hit the questions

Note: This method is essentially what J.Y. suggests doing.
    Note 2: J.Y. if I'm mistaken, please, correct me!