Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How Important is Early Application to Law School

Okay, here is my conundrum: I will be taking the LSAT for the 3rd and final time in September. However, I don't feel absolutely confident that I will be able to raise my score to my desired level from now until September. I am considering postponing until December, but am curious how much that late application might affect my chances of being admitted to the law school of my choice, assuming I meet my target LSAT score. This is a great community, and was curious as to what you 7sagers would advise; postpone till December in hopes of a higher LSAT at the risk of a late application, or go ahead and push through these courses quickly, hope for the best on my 3rd LSAT, and apply to school early (middle October)???

Comments

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    Postponing to get a higher LSAT score will always have a preference for obvious reasons. The LSAT I'd half your application and the scholarship money you can get from it is too real. Applying after December holds you at no disadvantage. Promise.
    edited August 2016 11542 karma
    Especially seeing as you're on your 3rd take, that's when I strongly advise to only take the LSAT when you're 200% confident in your performance and you have the PTs/BR to prove it. I'm also on my 3rd take :)

Not to mention, many schools (including t14) wait until after Thanksgiving to honestly review applications. The most you can do is submit your application before the score is released and let the schools now you're submitting a new LSAT score so they can place your app on hold.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @goaddw said:
    Okay, here is my conundrum: I will be taking the LSAT for the 3rd and final time in September. However, I don't feel absolutely confident that I will be able to raise my score to my desired level from now until September. I am considering postponing until December, but am curious how much that late application might affect my chances of being admitted to the law school of my choice, assuming I meet my target LSAT score
    Ok, first, I would recommend on waiting to take the LSAT until you are 1000% ready. I always think this is great advice, but especially because this is your 3rd take. You know what to expect by now, so don't waste your last chance for 2 years if you aren't ready. I'd suggest waiting until December and seeing if you will be ready to take it then. If you aren't having an extra cycle to prepare and get work experience is never a bad thing.

I also had the same concern about applying with the December LSAT. So I emailed Dean Meeker, who is former Dean of Admissions for a top law school, and now a law school admissions consultant.

Here was his answer:

"My advice is to wait and take in December if you're not feeling ready for the September test. BUT -- work on getting your applications completed before then. I'd still submit the applications by Thanksgiving if you can (or at the latest just after the LSAT in those first few weeks of December). I know that it means you'd be submitting applications without knowing your score, but it at that point you're feeling more confident about your score, better to get the apps in before January. The schools will begin processing your application when they receive it, and it will remain incomplete until they receive your score. But at least once they receive the score your application is ready to be forwarded to committee for review. If you wait until January to apply, you're delaying the processing of the application by at least a few weeks. Plus it is right after the holiday break - many admissions offices are closed for the week from Christmas to New Year's - so there is always a deluge of applications and mail when they return, so the processing time is even longer than it is in the fall.

Bottom line: better to apply with your best application in December than with a weaker application in October. The benefit of the higher LSAT score and overall stronger application will outweigh the benefit of an earlier application with a lower LSAT score."
  • goaddwgoaddw Member
    27 karma
    @alexdivine Really, Alex, you are giving some golden advice, and I really do appreciate it. I have a lot on my plate right now and this fall. I've been working as a Paralegal for some time, and just now switched to a different firm. Also, I will be starting my Guardian Ad Litem advocacy training in September (every Saturday from 8-5), and am just sitting here thinking, "when is this LSAT studying going to take place"? On top of that, as we've discussed in another thread, I'll need to compile my applications in that same time frame. That is too much! I am really considering postponing the till December. I am going to see if I can reach out to a few law schools and see there take on submitting applications before the release of the latest LSAT scores. Something terrifies me about the possibility of admissions deciding on my application using only my first two LSAT scores.
  • goaddwgoaddw Member
    27 karma
    @montaha.rizeq Thank you! Is there a formal process for notifying admissions that you are awaiting test score or is it as simple as calling/emailing the office, asking them to place the app on hold until scores are released?
    11542 karma
    Yup just call and or email. :)
    11542 karma
    Also don't be too set on a date. If you're not ready by November, you should probably postpone. Law school will always be here and your LSAT score is the base you need to achieve your dream school.
  • goaddwgoaddw Member
    27 karma
    @montaha.rizeq You are awesome Montaha!! Thanks a thousand times over.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @goaddw I know the feeling of being overwhelmed all too well. The good news is the community here is awesome and always here to help! So it is my pleasure...

You do seem like you have a LOT going on. So it may be very difficult to study for the LSAT during this time. Is there anyway you can wait and take the LSAT in June or September of next year an apply next cycle? If you can, I would say this is probably the best course of action.

However, if this is not a possibility, then absolutely at least try to postpone until December. And extra 3 months will only help you get closer to your goal. During this time definitely reach out to the schools you are applying to and let them know you are taking in December and to put your app on hold. I think some schools will even accept February scores...but not all, so look into that. Could be helpful to have a couple extra months from December to Feb to study.

If you can though, see what you can do about postponing until you can study to reach your potential. This is something that is very hard to do when you are working long hours and weekends. I would say it is totally doable with a full-time job, even one as demanding as yours as a paralegal, but weekends are important LSAT prep times for people with FT jobs. So again, if you can, try to postpone. This way you can have sufficient time to study and get your apps in. The best part is next cycle you can apply earlier with a stronger app. Literally a win-win.
    11542 karma
    @goaddw :) I just want you to understand the power a high LSAT score holds on your application...there's really no need to rush into taking the exam and applying when you know in your heart of hearts you could have done better on the LSAT. You have to be able to let everything take its course and you'll see the beauty in this and thank yourself when you get that awesome score!
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    From what I've heard and seen, turning in your application early is always good to do if and only if you've reached your desired score. If not, you're better off postponing if that means boosting your score by even a few points.
    I'm almost positive that every law school understands that they're going to get a handful of incredible applicants come the December administration. So, they take that into account when deciding who to send out offers to.