Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LSAC International Grade Conversions

mk940808mk940808 Alum Member
Hi!

So sorry if this topic has been covered before, I just can't seem to find any information online whatsoever! I've completed my undergrad at an international university and am wondering if anyone has any insights or experience with how LSAC calculates grade conversions? I recall seeing on the LSAC website last summer that they are converted to superior, above average, average, and so forth, but the links seem to have been removed.

Does anyone know anything at all about this process? I'm terrified that my GPA will be lower than I expect and negatively affect my chances of admission this year.

Cheers!

Comments

• runiggyrunruniggyrun Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2481 karma
    The LSAC doesn't calculate a numerical GPA for internationally educated applicants (undergrad outside of US and Canada). They use a credential evaluation outfit called AACRAO to look at your transcript and evaluate your GPA as Superior, Above Average, Average or Below Average.

AACRAO does this by converting each one of your grades into one of these categories: Superior=A level work
    Above Average =B level work
    Average = C level work
    Below average=D and lower level work

Then they use some averaging algorithm to come up with the final overall evaluation.
    AACRAO has their own way of assessing what constitutes, for example "A level work" for each country based on their previous experience with transcripts from the same country, so the same "grade" doesn't necessarily always convert to the same category.

If two countries have grades from 0-100, but in one country only the top 1% of students get >90 and an additional 10% get 80-90% and in another country 30% get >90% and another 20% get 80-90%, the same grade of 80% might be evaluated as "superior" in one case and "average" in the other (I'm making these grades up, there's probably not quite this big of a difference between countries, but they do take into account how your grades compare to other students in your country).

The LSAC does attach a copy of your transcript to the report, so AdComs can look at the "native" grades and courses you took as well.

Not having a numerical GPA can be a blessing or a curse - for an American graduate there might be a big difference in outcome between a 3.8 and a 4.0 GPA, but a foreigner is likely to get the same "Superior", so small differences matter less. If you were closer to a 4.0 you'll get less of a "boost" from your GPA, but if you were closer to 3.8 you'll get less of a penalty.

The lack of a numeric GPA makes your LSAT that much more important - that becomes the one solid number to "hang your hat on". You can't control how LSAC evaluates your GPA, but you can control how you do on the LSAT, so focus your energy on that and aim to do the best you can.

• mk940808mk940808 Alum Member
    209 karma
    @runiggyrun

Thanks you so so much! I've been looking for this info for months. Quick follow up question: does AACRAO evaluate in a similar way to WES? I went on their website and couldn't find a GPA calculator similar to the one of the WES website.

Sorry for the inundation of questions, I've just been really anxious that element of not being in control! Since the law school will not have a GPA to evaluate international candidates on, does this disadvantage them at all? Or does it just make the LSAT much more important as you mentioned?
  • runiggyrunruniggyrun Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2481 karma
    I don't think it's similar to WES - WES gives you an actual numeric GPA on a 4.0 scale, so it's a lot more precise than LSAC, but I would venture a guess that if you had a >3.8 on the WES scale you'd be "Superior". I know of one person who's GPA was ~3.65 and got evaluated as an "Above Average", but I'm not 100% certain that this would be the case for any WES 3.65 or just for this specific country.
    The easiest way to find out would be to send your transcripts and see what happens. The CAS account is good for 5 years and gets renewed every time you register for an LSAT.
    I've sent mine in this spring, even though I'm not planning to apply until next year at the earliest, just to make sure there were no glitches. The evaluation in my case took less than 2 weeks, and then you don't need to live with the uncertainty.

I don't think it's necessarily a disadvantage to not have a numerical GPA, except for the fact that you can't be a "splitter". Your LSAT has to get you in on it's own.
    Let's say your LSAT is at the 25th percentile of the school. If you're an American applicant with a 4.0 you'd be called a reverse splitter and the school might be willing to take your lowish LSAT in exchange for your high GPA. For an international "superior" GPA, your GPA doesn't get reported to US news, so it doesn't count as a bargaining chip. It does of course show that you are smart and capable, so that does matter, but it's likely not as strong of an asset as a GPA above the school's 75th percentile would be.

However, if your LSAT is high and your GPA is lower, you don't have to worry too much about being rejected because you're damaging their GPA percentiles.

So I'd say unless your GPA is rated "average" or worse and you're aiming for T14, it's pretty much going to be all about your LSAT (at least in terms of numbers). The GPA will be more of a "soft" factor, like work experience, accomplishments, personal statement and such.