Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reading Comprehension Help

in General 12 karma
Hi guys,

Was wondering if I could get your advice on my situation: I'm currently doing alright on my LG and LR sections, but can't seem to break 20/27 on my RC sections. Which 7sage package would you recommend I get if I am planning to give my test on September 24 (ie. little over a month left to study)?

Thanks!

Comments

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    All of the packs have the same curriculum but the "larger" packs come with more PT explanations and many more resources to study with. What's great about 7sage is that you're always guaranteed a 14 day money back guarantee and you can always upgrade from a cheaper course to a more expensive one (if you decide to do this, shoot @"Dillon A. Wright" an email and he'll more than likely extend your membership by the given time of the higher course, not just 1 month). In any event, have you considered postponing your test date? Usually a good rule to abide by is 1 month or so before the actual LSAT, you shouldn't be learning new material, rather you should be doing tons of drills and PT under time constraints. RC is generally the most difficult to improve in so it will likely take a few months or so before you start seeing improvement. Also, it's recommended to not jump around in the curriculum and to go in the order the syllabus suggests.
    11542 karma
    Besides the 7sage curriculum, lots of top scorers say reading The Economist, Scientific, NY Times etc. in your free time can help with RC because it's essentially the same reading material. Additionally, The LSAT Trainer by Mike Kim helped me greatly with RC. You should check it out.
  • 12 karma
    I'll definitely order the LSAT Trainer, thanks for the tip! In terms of postponing my test date, it's pretty much my last reasonable date to take the test (since I am applying to Canadian schools with rolling admissions opening very soon). I've been working on my RC for a while now and all I really need is to take it to a 22-23/27, which should bring me to my goal. Would you say it's not worth it, then, to buy a course if I'm going to jump to the RC questions specifically?

Thanks,
    11542 karma
    @rajeevbagga.rb said:
    Would you say it's not worth it, then, to buy a course if I'm going to jump to the RC questions specifically?

In this case, no I don't see the benefit in enrolling in a course if you only want to tackle one portion of the LSAT. If however you don't see your score, specifically in RC, improving it's likely an indication that you need to work on the fundamentals. Try reading those articles in your free time and definitely hit up The Trainer. Hope this helps.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited August 2016 23929 karma
    @rajeevbagga.rb

I agree with everything @montaha.rizeq said as I always do.

I would suggest The LSAT Trainer or the Starter Package. I think both teach you more or less the same method for RC. I do like 7Sage though because the videos show you in real time how to attack the problems. RC can be a slow thing to master, but it is totally doable. It is all about blocking inferences and reading for structure.

Here is a Reading Comp webinar/intensive Sage @"Nicole Hopkins" gave. I really think she has RC figured out. Like she REALLY seems to understands this section. Watch and listen to that video and implement what she says and you will see improvement. I watched this when I was going -10 on RC and after watching it and implementing it I'm already down to like -6 per section, and I haven't even done the 7Sage RC part of the course yet. Which will build on what Nicole explains in her intensive. She basically has made RC the same as LG in that you approach it with the same mechanical and consistent reasoning....

Also, Sage Jimmy gave this webinar and I think it is fanatic...

https://7sage.com/webinar/jimmy-rc-qt/

It is just great info on how to attack the different types of RC questions.

Also, don't feel like you have to take in September and apply this cycle. This is a test worth doing right. It could potentially mean the difference between your dream school for free or your last choice for sticker..... Easy choice. Postpone and wait until you are ready to go in and kill it! Imagine getting an extra $100,000 because of a good LSAT. It happens..... As a bonus, check out Nicole's 18 Point Increase webinar. :)
  • 12 karma
    I'll for sure do both. Thanks for your advice, much appreciated!
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    'Tis my pleasure :)
    11542 karma
    Wait are those webinars available to the public? I would have suggested had I known that haha @"Alex Divine"
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited August 2016 23929 karma
    @montaha.rizeq Oh shoot! Lol, actually I'm not sure. Nicole's on YouTube definitely is....

I definitely need to stop assuming everyone has purchased a course... lol
    11542 karma
    @"Alex Divine" said:
    I definitely need to stop assuming everyone has purchased a course... lol
    Haha it's ok!
  • tofuspeedstartofuspeedstar Alum Member
    139 karma
    I found reading a passage out in my head while drilling or testing in Morgan Freeman's voice helps a lot. I stay engaged throughout the section.

Don't markup a lot either. I draw a line through paragraphs to help nothing from the previous paragraph bleed over into what I read next.
  • 12 karma
    ^will definitely try that, thanks for all the tips everyone! :)
    11542 karma
    @tofuspeedstar said:
    testing in Morgan Freeman's voice
    LOL I'm so going to try this!
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @montaha.rizeq said:
    LOL I'm so going to try this!
    Ditto! That sounds awesome. Even better would be reading in JY's voice and just hear him going "OK.... So what?"
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma
    Oh I'm definitely doing the Morgan Freeman thing!
  • BruiserWoodsBruiserWoods Member Inactive ⭐
    1706 karma
    I'mma double recommend Nicole's webinar. Or honestly, just any consistent system of annotating. That's gonna definitely help to build your confidence and that's clutch under pressure. <3 good luck
    27809 karma
    I wonder if Morgan Freeman would do a webinar. I’ll ask him. Maybe we could just have him read some RC passages for us?
    11542 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" said:
    Maybe we could just have him read some RC passages for us?
    LOL, this reminds me of the GPS app I downloaded solely for the fact that you can choose "Morgan Freeman" as the voice navigator. I became so obsessed with it I'd turn it on even if I was going places I didn't need a GPS for haha. The app is called Waze if ya'll are interested
    27809 karma
    Definitely.