Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What have you sacrificed for the LSAT?

Matthew524Matthew524 Member
edited August 2016 in General 651 karma
I know some of us have been there, when you are sitting in front of your LSAT material and thinking to yourself " DO I really want to study on this beautiful day?" I have certainly been there and I am experiencing that right now, it's about 100 degrees in New York and very sunny, and all my friends are at the beach/pool/ waterparks! I am just sitting at a desk in the library really tired/bored of the LSAT even though I know I have to study. I was wondering has this happened to anyone, and if so what do you usually do? Also quick question about how the LSAT has had an impact on your personal life. I know the LSAT has strained my relationship with my girlfriend as well as my friends. My girlfriend was more understanding and actually encourages me to study but sometimes I feel guilty because I know she wants to hang out with me for the day ( My girlfriend is a senior at college just like me, and actually has a lot going for here. But she still finds time for me, but I can't say the same, I have been with her for over 7 years). My "friends" honestly stopped talking to me altogether ( we were a clique of 5 people who basically grew up with each other since we were in middle school/ high school). They just ignore me now and always tell me I do not have time for them ( they really do not have anything going for them, they are all college drop outs and work full time). I didn't mean to sound harsh in the last statement but a majority of my neighborhood is like that ( I am from the projects of New York). So I was wondering has anyone else had any similar experiences or stories they would like to share? I know the LSAT is a lot of stress but extraneous factors may also be leading to more stress, so I decided to talk about it with 7SAGE, because maybe someone may be experiencing similar situations and talking about it helps relieve my stress. So feel free to share your story or comment on mine!

Comments

• Nanchito-1-1Nanchito-1-1 Yearly Member
    1762 karma
    Yea i've studied on my birthday a few times. It's coming again on Friday and I plan to study atleast during the day. Sun gives me wrinkles anyway, I'm not trippin.
    1762 karma
    I extend myself for all important family functions including friends and or their kids bdays I never miss. Mandatory girls night out doesnt have to happen every weekend heck, it could happen every few months but it happens. It's the real friends that stay and check up on you that matter.
  • melloishmelloish Free Trial Member
    59 karma
    It hasn't really messed up much. But to be fair, before I began studying 40 hours a week, I was working 100+ hours... So I never really had a life. I'm also a senior in college and if anything it has given me plenty of excuses to miss things I would have otherwise been forced to go to, such as parties, 'nights out' and awful birthday parties. But that's just me, I enjoy the solitude of being alone. And when I'm not busy studying I value my sleep (: Again I went to an undergrad college over 1000 miles from home so I don't have really any distractions. My husband is incredibly supportive as he had just taken his MCAT so he understands when I prioritize my studies. I never really feel bad missing events and such. Overall the only thing I have sacrificed is money, as I could be working like crazy but decided studying would be more beneficial. Good luck and I'm sorry your new priority in life truly seems to drain your happiness.
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    @nanchito said:
    It's the real friends that stay and check up on you that matter.
    Holllaaaa. Insanely true. Even if they know jack shit about the LSAT.
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    @Matthew524 I like that you're so dedicated to the LSAT but it's not wrong to have fun every now and then. Something that helps me is scheduling my weeks to make sure I know when to study, and when it's ok to squeeze in some fun...after all, hanging out and relaxing with friends is one of the best therapies out there...and it's free :D something else I do is indulge in some retail therapy lol...curse those credit cards. Besides, if your friends can't see that you're trying to make something of your future and support you, what makes them friends in the first place?
    1762 karma
    @Matthew524 said:
    I am just sitting at a desk in the library really tired/bored of the LSAT
    Burnout???? Take your girl to the beach. She gets it.
  • AlejandroAlejandro Member Inactive ⭐
    2424 karma
    Everything. And it was sooo worth it!
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    I can relate to growing up in the projects man. And not being able to relate to my friends anymore... It sucks. I feel like I've sacrificed some faith I had in friendships. A lot of money (not from the material, but from missed opportunities to make more money) And probably just my health. I get so stressed because everything is riding on this test for me...

Advice: I know a lot of people like you and I who felt like we sacrificed a lot, but in the end, it was really worth it for them. That inspires me to work hard and through the pain of sacrifice to go and get it!
  • Not Ralph NaderNot Ralph Nader Alum Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2098 karma
    I reduced the time I spend with my friends and family significantly, also lost more than 10 kg of my weight, you can say the weight loss at least is a positive side effect :)
  • hollyetravelshollyetravels Alum Member
    23 karma
    My six year old, who thankfully is a computer nerd like his parents, has learned to ask Mommy if she is taking a test before starting a conversation or asking for something. Sad, but he understands that this is temporary and I still make time for him after I am done studying for the day. I'll be glad when he starts back to school, I won't feel guilty studying during the day anymore.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    I'd like to add: I also feel like I've sacrificed an entire summer. I haven't been able to do many fun things besides work and study. Kind of depressing in a way, but I know it will be worth it when I get that score back :)
  • blah170blahblah170blah Alum Inactive ⭐
    3545 karma
    2 years of sanity. Oy.
  • westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma
    2 years crew checking in here too haha
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @blah170blah said:
    2 years of sanity. Oy.
    Came here to also add: my sanity.
  • EmmaWI88EmmaWI88 Alum Member
    213 karma
    Apparently dreams now that don't include some kind of conditional relationships.

Even last night in my dream I was piecing my friends together by who was sufficient and necessary in what relationships.

Not healthy?
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma
    I'm fortunate to have wonderful and understanding friends, so even though I've seen very little of them in the past year, they've been nothing but supportive. Of the many goals and interests I've had to set aside for the LSAT, it's the time with them that has been the greatest sacrifice. Especially since I'll be leaving for school in a year, it makes that lost time all the more painful. 39 more days!