Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question about LORS and submitting a resume

kmarie7kmarie7 Alum Member
in General 208 karma
Ok, I have two non related questions, but did not want to clog up the discussion thread.

1. I had a professor drop the ball on me. She had agreed to write a LOR, then later said she wouldn't be able to due to time constraints. Even though, she still has a month and she has known about this for 2 months. It was BS, but here is my question. I have a great review from another professor, and will be able to get a great one from my supervisor who I have worked for for a year. Will it hurt me big time to only have one LOR from a prof? I have taken a lot of online classes, so I do not have many options as far as profs that will be able to write a great one for me.

2. I have recently found out that you should submit your resume during the application process. Is this true? I own a small Etsy.com shop with my sister. It has been quite successful over the last 3 years. Like 30k revenue each year. Will adding this on my resume hurt me? I know of the 20 hour a week work week rule for law students. I do not want them to think I will be too busy or breaking that rule. I plan to fully hand over day-to-day operations to my sister during law school.

Comments

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    @kmarie7 said:
    She had agreed to write a LOR, then later said she wouldn't be able to due to time constraints
    Um are you freaking joking? smh. Sorry you had to experience this! If you're finding it difficult to get another LOR from a professor, some people on here (including David) suggest taking a course at a community college and have a professor from there (hopefully) write you one. At the end of the day, professor LORs > work LORs. Do you think it's feasible to take a course at a community college? If not, try to reach out to professors even if it was an online course...ask to meet up during office hours or for coffee.
    @kmarie7 said:
    I have recently found out that you should submit your resume during the application process. Is this true?
    Yep. Actually you'll see that when you fill out the application on LSAC, there's a mandatory section to submit your resume (for most schools)
    @kmarie7 said:
    I own a small Etsy.com shop with my sister. It has been quite successful over the last 3 years. Like 30k revenue each year. Will adding this on my resume hurt me
    Nice!! by all means you should add this to your resume, it shows you're dedicated and determined :)
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma
    I think the Etsy shop is a really great resume item, so definitely include that. Tons of people work until starting school, so I don't think the in-school work rule will even cross their mind.

For your LoR, that really sucks the one prof did that to you. Maybe for the best though since they obviously don't place a whole lot of priority or importance to it. May have dodged a bullet on an unremarkable letter. How long have you been out of school? The longer the better as far as pro letters go. I know it's not the orthodoxy, but I've been out of school almost 10 years now and I just feel like it would look really bad if I wasn't able to supply a pro letter. So I say go for it and don't even worry about it. Obviously you've got to do the best you can on short notice here, but I think you'll be in good shape.