Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Difficulties with first LR section

YesSarahYesSarah Alum Member
I'm not sure if any of you have this trouble but I seem to be missing quite a few more questions (2-3) on the first LR section than the second. This is especially prevalent when LR is the first section of the exam. Any suggestions to remedy this?

Comments

• abisin1234abisin1234 Alum Member
    171 karma
    I was looking into this as well (I scored significantly lower on my first LR which was the first section, than on the second one), and I just chalked it up to not having been "warmed up" yet. I found on a couple different posts on the discussion forums (if you search "warm up") and there are some good suggestions such as doing 5 or so LR questions before starting a preptest.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @YesSarah ,

I absolutely agree with @abisin1234 about this being possibly caused by lack of a warm up. I recommend doing Qs 15-26 on an old PT to warm-up, as usually these are the more challenging questions, and after doing those you'll be on a roll!

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27823 karma
    Yep, this is quite common. I do a whole LR section as my warmup. Helps me get in the zone and find my rhythm.
  • YesSarahYesSarah Alum Member
    137 karma
    Thanks guys! The only concern I have about warming up is that I won't be doing it before the actual test. Or do you recommend also doing it the morning of the exam?
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27823 karma
    Definitely @YesSarah . Just don't do anything foolish like grading it! I'm going to do a retake I did particularly well on. It's just about getting in the right mental space, so just make sure not to do anything that could potentially lead to a crisis of confidence.
  • danielznelsondanielznelson Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4181 karma
    This usually happens to me as well. I can't imagine most don't have this problem.

Skipping strategies help me; often, some of the easiest questions are ones I can't pin down right away, so I quickly skip and move on. Later, when I'm afforded plenty of time to review the questions I haven't yet answered, the pressure has lessened, and I have a fresh look at easier questions that are preceded by the more difficult questions I did later in the section.

@"Alex Divine" I'm going to run with that strategy as well, I think.