Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Another Postpone or not post! (Sorry)

kmarie7kmarie7 Alum Member
in General 208 karma
So I am hitting 3-5 points below where I want to be. I have registered for September, and I am not opposed to retaking in December. Is it bad to retake? I just don't really see the point of postponing, seeing as the refund won't be worth it. Am I hurting anything by taking it now, if I am okay with a retake?

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited August 2016 23929 karma
    @kmarie7 said:
    So I am hitting 3-5 points below where I want to be. I have registered for September, and I am not opposed to retaking in December. Is it bad to retake? I just don't really see the point of postponing, seeing as the refund won't be worth it. Am I hurting anything by taking it now, if I am okay with a retake?
    3-5 points isn't a terrible place to be a month out to be honest, but it does depend on where your target score is. For example, if you are scoring on average a 170 and want to hit a 175 on test day, I would say postpone. But if you are at a 160 and have a goal of a 163-165, are OK with a retake, then I don't see much harm. I guess it is all relative is what I'm saying.

I think the only things you might be hurting are your options if you end up needing 3 takes to hit your target score AFTER you are already scoring there consistently. I know often those with goals in the 170s need to take multiple times and this is after they have been averaging their target score. there is truly no way to fully mitigate any test day drop due to a test that exploits your weaknesses, nerves, or a bad migraine that came out of nowhere.

Also, and I'm not sure how accurate this is, but I have been told that Yale doesn't look favorably on retakes. Take with a grain of salt because it is from the TLS Book of Dogmatic Admissions Rules given by 0Ls.

In short, I think the only thing would be a possible waste of a take if you are not 100% ready. If that doesn't bother you and if you are willing to retake and feel you can hit that goal, I say go for it! Again, do consider where you need that 5 points to get you. I am much more inclined to say postpone if going from a 165-170 or something of that nature.

• Stephanie57049Stephanie57049 Alum Member
    69 karma
    I'd agree there is room for a couple points of improvement over the next month. And it depends on your university of choice. The colleges I'm looking at will take the higher of your scores, but frown up taking the test more than twice.
  • LsatbreakingnewsLsatbreakingnews Alum Member
    392 karma
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    @Euthyphro LMAOOOO
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @montaha.rizeq said:
    @Euthyphro LMAOOOO
    LMAO! Hard to argue with that advice
  • amipp_93amipp_93 Alum Member
    585 karma
    LMAOOOOOO
  • combsnicombsni Free Trial Member
    652 karma
    I am in a similar situation. Now, the highest-ranked school I have any interest in is Notre Dame and the others are schools like Wayne State, Michigan State, Chicago-Kent, Loyola, and Maurer. Granted, if I didn't have connections, I would be more hell-bent on getting into a top school but some of these other schools will give you more money and you will have a chance to stand out