Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How Should I Prioritize Prep for Sept Test?

edited August 2016 in Reading Comprehension 90 karma
Hey 7sagers :)

We're now under four weeks before the September test and the anxiety is creeping in. While I've seen a drastic improvement from starting just three months ago (a 9 point bump) I'm still slightly below my bare-minimum goal to where I wouldn't feel the need to commit seppuku. In the last four weeks (nearly 6-7 PTs) I have not scored below a 162 and I've completely turned around my LG ability thanks to some fantastic advice from @"Cant Get Right" and others by using @Pacifico 's method. I've gone from getting at least -7 to getting -2 or -3 consistently on LG sections. However, I'm not quite where I need to be. While I've hit a 165 twice in the last three weeks (my bare minimum score to prevent seppuku), my most recent score went back down to a 163. Here are the section breakdowns from my most recent test:

Logic Games: 87%: 20 correct of 23
Logical Reasoning: 80%: 20 correct of 25
Logical Reasoning: 76%: 19 correct of 25
Reading Comp. 74%: 20 correct of 27

If you were me, where would you try and focus? I've gone through some reviewing up to this point and I've noticed quite a few stupid mistakes made trying to account for time -- i.e., not reading all of the answer choices, selecting answers based off of keywords, etc. If I were to have minimized those slight mental errors and mistakes and correct timing issues I should have reached a 165 easily but I'm still below my ACTUAL goal of 168. My reading comp score is weak and it feels like I'm consistently getting -6/-7 on those sections but I could also stand to improve LR. I've looked at my analytics and I've tried drilling up to this point but I haven't seen any significant improvement yet. Should I stay the course or switch to RC? Any help would be greatly appreciated -- thank you to everyone who has helped so far.

Good luck September LSATers!
-James

Comments

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma
    Hey @JamesKent3 , glad to know I've helped!

So between now and September you're in a bit of an awkward spot. You're getting into the range where you really have such little room for error that you can't leave anything weak and just hope for the best. That said, that's exactly what you're going to have to do given the September timeline. RC is tough to improve and takes time. Conventional wisdom suggests you've got a better chance at improving LR than RC on that timeline. I would drill some RC for sure, but I think maintaining focus on LR is probably your best bet. You're kinda throwing up a Hail Mary either way. Tbh, it might just be better to take it in December. You're almost certainly going to fall short in September, and you are almost certainly going to improve in December. So I'm not entirely sure what taking in September offers you.

Whatever you decide, all the best!
  • edited August 2016 90 karma
    Thanks for the response @"Cant Get Right" ! You really think four weeks is too limiting for a consistent increase? I guess I wasn't expecting that I would have to push my date back. I was hoping to be one of the early applicants to a lot of places to increase my chances in the admissions process. December will be towards the middle-end of UVA's timeline and there will be less spots. Looks like I have some thinking to do.
  • cahillmaffeicahillmaffei Alum Member
    21 karma
    I'm in a similar boat. I've been scoring consistently at around 165, trying to break to 170 before the test. I did about a week of solid RC drilling a couple weeks ago and I think you'd be surprised how much it helps. I took a section at a time and really focused on reasoning structure and timing. My average miss on RC is definitely lower now. However, I also agree that maybe there is a better opportunity for gains on the LR front. At the end of the day, both sections are going to have to go up for you to get the score you want.

I say go for it, I am.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma
    @JamesKent3 , I actually started out on a very similar timeline as you and with very similar goals. And I was scoring in a very similar range after about the same amount of time. I had progressed quickly so I felt confident I would continue to improve. What I didn't realize is that the difficulty increases exponentially. Right around the mid 160's is where the curve really kind of turns into a vertical wall.

So if my example can provide any perspective, it took me about 5 months to get from the low 150s to the mid 160s: About 12 points in 5 months, not bad at all. It then took me about 10 months to get from the mid 160s to the 170s: Double the time for less than half the return. That's a bleak timeline, but it's not at all atypical. We are in a pool of really smart, highly driven people and we're mostly all vying for about the top 2-3 percentile. A lot of people who have everything it takes to get to the top aren't going to make it, and you've reached the level now where you're competing with the best of the best.

So in my case, I fell short. I found myself in a position to either settle for the score I had or else delay a year and take one more shot at my target score. I don't begrudge myself my December take, but I'd do about anything to get back my October test. I wasn't even close to ready and now I'm on my third take with no safety net if anything goes wrong.

The good news is this: While there is a slight advantage to applying earlier, it's not even close to as much as it's made out to be. Your LSAT score is so important that if you can apply in December with even one additional point on your LSAT, that makes up for any advantage lost by applying later. Even if you do well in September, you will almost certainly out score that take in December so it would be best to hold your app until that score is released anyway.

I think the main thing is to figure out what you would do if you had to decide between applying with a seppuku score or delaying a year to apply with a better score. It's a tough decision that is hard to think about as a hypothetical, but unless you're 100% confident you will apply this cycle and go with whatever you can get no matter what your LSAT score, I wouldn't take in September. I'd take your shot in December and then have two takes in your back pocket in case you do opt to delay.

It's a lot to think about, so give it some time and decide for yourself. But from someone who's been there: What you stand to gain in September is totally dwarfed by what you stand to lose, and your odds of gaining it are even smaller still.