Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chances on Sept LSAT

CUU20004CUU20004 Free Trial Member
in General 33 karma
Hey everyone,

Below is a breakdown of my 10 recent LSAT scores. I've been using PTs in the lates 60s (68, 69) and the rest 70s.

What do you think my odds are of hitting at least 160 next week?

Comments

• danielznelsondanielznelson Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4181 karma
    First off, congrats on your score range! It seems like you're hitting where you'd like to be, on average.

There are two qualifiers to my advice, so definitely keep these in mind: is this your first take and are you absolutely aiming to apply for next year's cycle?

If yes to both, I'd take the test. Unless you are somehow able to take the test in June 2017 for a 2017 application - which has been afforded to some in rare cases - you have at best three test dates before the next cycle, with those three dates being in September, December, and February.

You're so close to where you need to be that I would absolutely recommend taking the September test if this is your first take and applying for 2018 is out of the question. Otherwise, you have only December and February to take the LSAT and you've effectively wasted the opportunity for three takes. Taking the test three times is not uncommon in the least bit, so this could be to your disadvantage.

The only downside I see to taking in September is the psychological ramifications of underperforming and scoring below your target score and walking into December with that on your mind. But even if you score below what you want, you have three months or so to improve by December, and I think that preparation alone would be more than enough to maintain/regain confidence.

@twssmith has had a lot of great input on what to do in the final weeks of September, so look out for her advice should you decide that you will take it now. Revisit the latest tests you've done recently; that is, redo the late 60s and 70s, perhaps by dividing them into individual sections and apart from a timed test. You can learn a lot from retakes, especially from the newest tests, as those will likely reflect what will be on the upcoming September test. Keep up with drilling some LG and stay fresh with RC. Really glean from the new LR some of the oddities found in the questions.
  • texvd1988texvd1988 Member
    605 karma
    Here is my question in that regard- does an application submitted in February decrease your chances dramatically? Even if you receive a score that would normally give you a great chance to get in?
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    edited September 2016 11542 karma
    @vduran1988 said:
    does an application submitted in February decrease your chances dramatically? Even if you receive a score that would normally give you a great chance to get in?
    I think a Feb. applicant should only apply that cycle if there's no realistic possibility of postponing until the next cycle. While there are schools that do take the Feb. LSAT into consideration for the same cycle (even Harvard!), you do miss out on a great scholarship offers and lower your chance of acceptance simply due to the fact that many students have matriculated at that time and have already gone through the scholarship negotiation phase.
  • CUU20004CUU20004 Free Trial Member
    33 karma
    @danielznelson Thanks so much for offering such thorough considerations! I really appreciate it and as of right now, I'm determined on Sept but I'll take some time to think on this.
    605 karma
    @montaha.rizeq said:
    I think a Feb. applicant should only apply that cycle if there's no realistic possibility of postponing until the next cycle. While there are schools that do take the Feb. LSAT into consideration for the same cycle (even Harvard!), you do miss out on a great scholarship offers and lower your chance of acceptance simply due to the fact that many students have matriculated at that time and have already gone through the scholarship negotiation phase.
    I see. If scholarships aren't necessarily on my "must have" list, how much worse are my chances?

I want to go to UT Austin. In order to get in I need a 170 (around there). If I get that 170, from what I understand, I am basically guaranteed entrance. Is that guarantee off the table in February?
    11542 karma
    @vduran1988 said:
    If scholarships aren't necessarily on my "must have" list, how much worse are my chances?
    Then you should be ok applying. Especially if your numbers are at the school's medians or 75th/75th+ percentile.
    605 karma
    @montaha.rizeq thank you for your response! It is much appreciated. I am definitely a splitter (3.2 gpa) so I have some work to do.
    11542 karma
    @vduran1988 I'm a splitter too! well, speaking in future-terms haha :) you'll be fine, there are lots of splitter friendly law schools out there. Have you heard anything from UT about this?
    605 karma
    @montaha.rizeq said:
    @vduran1988 I'm a splitter too! well, speaking in future-terms haha :) you'll be fine, there are lots of splitter friendly law schools out there. Have you heard anything from UT about this?
    Yay!! Future terms? Still haven't applied to law school? Not personally, no. I have done some research and looked over their acceptance rates on LSAC for splits in my range. Seems like anything above a 170 is basically a guaranteed acceptance. At least from their online resource.
    11542 karma
    @vduran1988 said:
    Still haven't applied to law school?
    Nope, looking to apply in the 2018 cycle.
    @vduran1988 said:
    I have done some research and looked over their acceptance rates on LSAC for splits in my range. Seems like anything above a 170 is basically a guaranteed acceptance. At least from their online resource.
    Well that's good. Are you able to visit this school before applying? have you emailed to ask to meet with the adcomms? Schools tend to give out application waivers to those who visit the school or even simply email asking for one haha.
    605 karma
    @montaha.rizeq said:
    Well that's good. Are you able to visit this school before applying? have you emailed to ask to meet with the adcomms? Schools tend to give out application waivers to those who visit the school or even simply email asking for one haha.
    Okay, I lie. I just checked. It's not a guarantee, but my chances are increased a bit. Basically 50/50 which is as much as I deserve with the GPA I have :).

No I haven't, but I do live in the area and have been on campus. Really? How does that work? I request and application waiver and just send my LSAT score and transcripts?

You are a well of knowledge.
    11542 karma
    @vduran1988 said:
    but my chances are increased a bit
    How would your chances be increased?
    @vduran1988 said:
    Basically 50/50 which is as much as I deserve with the GPA I have :).
    Don't sell yourself short because of your GPA - it doesn't define you nor does it represent the knowledge you've gained through university.
    @vduran1988 said:
    No I haven't, but I do live in the area and have been on campus. Really? How does that work? I request and application waiver and just send my LSAT score and transcripts?
    If you have the chance by all means go check out the law school! email the office of admissions first to let them know. For all you know, this visit may make you want to attend even more or even steer you away from wanting to attend; it has happened before :) As for a waiver, while it's not a guarantee, law schools like to do almost anything (legal) to get more and more people to apply to their school since applications have decreased dramatically. That's why schools accept the Feb. LSAT (even June LSAT) nowadays. Having said that, many people including myself have received waivers by simply emailing or attend an open house. Don't miss out on these opportunities! :)
    605 karma
    @montaha.rizeq said:
    How would your chances be increased?
    From what I saw there they accepted 30% of applicants with a 165- 169 range and 35% with a 170-174. I assume the in state thing gives me a bonus (Texas schools love Texans) so I think I have a coin flip of a chance at getting in. If not, I will reapply early in the following cycle.
    11542 karma
    Ok so from what I saw with your GPA and attentive LSAT score you would be considered a super splitter for this school. Basically that means your LSAT is above the 75th percentile. I think you're on a good path @vduran1988 especially considering you aren't too concerned with potentially losing out on scholarship money
    605 karma
    @montaha.rizeq said:
    Ok so from what I saw with your GPA and attentive LSAT score you would be considered a super splitter for this school. Basically that means your LSAT is above the 75th percentile. I think you're on a good path @vduran1988 especially considering you aren't too concerned with potentially losing out on scholarship money
    Whew. Sometimes it's good to take a step back and listen to someone else's perspective. Thanks for the boost :). Now I don't feel so bad about possibly retaking in February if I feel off of my game come December.

11542 karma
    Hoping for the best @vduran1988! Definitely visit the school and try to get a waiver. It's also good to put a face on your application.