Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Test Center Review] University of Southern Mississippi, Hattiesburg, MS

Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
edited September 2016 in Test Center Reviews 27821 karma
Proctors: Experienced professionals. Absolutely silent during test.

Facilities: Fine, it's an older building but restrooms were clean, close, and large enough to accommodate everyone. Proctors asked us about room temperature before test and after returning from break and adjusted according to our feedback. Test room big and spacious with lots of light and nothing to distract.

What kind of room: Big amphitheater layout.

How many in the room:10 - 20

Desks: Very large desks running the length of the room. More space than you could ever use. I probably had about 10 yards of desk space all to myself. Comfortable chairs and lots of room between test takers.

Left-handed accommodation: I'm not entirely sure what this means, but each test taker had so much space on either side that I can't imagine that any further accommodation would be possible.

Noise levels: Silent.

Parking: Plenty of parking immediately in front of building, except Oct 2015 when there was a football game that day. Always check the football schedule at any university with a team if testing in the fall. As far as that went, there was adequate parking about 5-10 minutes walk from the test center, which was kind of nice actually.

Time elapsed from arrival to test:
Pretty quick, about 30-40 minutes maybe.

Irregularities or mishaps: Across 3 takes, they forgot the five minute warning once. It happens: They got 17/18, so that seems within an acceptable margin of error to me. They also let one guy go to the bathroom between checking in and the test starting. Seems perfectly reasonable to me, but technically a violation. On my last take they said to put our pencil sharpeners away, lol. She said she didn't want us wasting time on sharpening pencils (which I agree with, you shouldn't do), but technically we are allowed to have our sharpeners on our desk. They had brought lots of sharpened pencils for us and made sure everyone without lots of pencils of their own had enough that they would not need to sharpen. Kind of sweet actually, but I would have liked to have my pencil sharpener just out of a sense of comfort.

Other comments: This is my alma mater which gave me a huge sense of familiarity. I felt right at home and I think this is a significant factor in choosing a test center. I'd only rank it below big desks and good proctors. There's enough test day stress without having to figure out where you're going. If your alma mater isn't an option though, or if the facilities aren't adequate, you can't go wrong with Southern Miss.

Would you take the test here again?
Absolutely.

Date[s] of Exam[s]:
Oct 2015
Dec 2015
Sept 2016