Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Letter of Recommendation (LOR) Questions!

LR942311LR942311 Member
in General 50 karma
Hi guys,

I'm looking to apply this season, and am having some difficulty deciding how to proceed the LOR process. I graduated in 2015 and already have 2 professors whom I've worked closely with agree to write LORs, but am considering asking for a third recommendation from my place of employment (I've been working as a paralegal at a law firm for the past year and a half).

A couple of questions on this since time is running out:

1. Would it look bad if I didn't obtain a letter of recommendation from my place of employment? I know schools prefer academic recommendations, but I feel like it might be a little sketchy to have worked a year and a half and not have a letter. I think I could get a nice letter, but am not positive that it will be as strong as my academic letters.

2. Does ranking matter a whole lot in deciding which associate(s) I ask? I'm deciding between a more junior associate and a mid-level associate. I've worked extensively with both, but I feel like the junior associate might write the better letter. I was told that law schools might view the junior associate's letter as more of a letter from a "peer" though. Is this true?

3. If a school limits submission of LOR to 2, should I submit the two academic ones, or one academic one professional?

Any advice would be much appreciated! Thank you!

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited October 2016 23929 karma
    Academic over employment almost always. The exception being maybe 5-10+ years out of school, in which case a professional one is probably good to have.

The ranking won't matter at all between a mid level / junior associate if you decide to get a LOR from a boss at work.
    @LR942311 said:
    3. If a school limits submission of LOR to 2, should I submit the two academic ones, or one academic one professional?
    The academic ones for sure.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma
    Go with two academics if you can only do two. If you'd been in the work force for a decade or something, then the calculus might shift, but right out of school I think you've got to go academic. That said, I think it could be good to have as an additional letter if you can go three. Rank won't matter, so go with whoever and only whoever (whomever?) will write you a great letter.

A lot of scholarship apps require an additional letter, so if nothing else, it's good to have an extra on hand.
  • LR942311LR942311 Member
    50 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" and @"Alex Divine" Thank you guys! This is really helpful!