Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Causal Argument and Conditionality

NyanyanyaNyanyanya Alum Member
in General 28 karma
I think I am confused with causal argument and conditionality.
I felt when causal argument has something to do with explanation, giving explanation/hypothesis in the conclusion. Then, there is some kind of bi conditional relationship between cause and effect. (if there is a cause there must be effect, if there is a effect, there must be cause, and there is no alternative explanation)
However, if there is a premise describing a causal relationship, would it be okay to think that there is bi conditional relationship between cause and effect? I feel like there is only one way relationship. Cause being the sufficient condition and Effect being the necessary condition.
Plz Comment. I am using this idea when I am doing questions. I am still unsure.

Comments

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    edited October 2016 10779 karma
    Hi,

Yeah so I would agree with the idea that it's not a biconditional. Because a cause always has the effect but the effect can have multiple causes. For example, let's say UVA exposure causes cancer. But if someone has cancer does it mean it was UVA that caused it? No. it could be genes or diet or any other thing that also causes cancer.