Studying - Finish the Core Curriculum First, or Focus on Analytic Priorities?

H O ThomasH O Thomas Alum Member
in General 204 karma
Hello everyone; I'm back!

Short version - I work full time, and then have other things in my life which can't be compromised or ignored. I spend about 10 hours a week on average studying for the LSAT. I should be going for at least 14, but finding that extra four hours is hard enough when the 10 hours is already a battle. At the latest, I'd like to take the December 2017 LSAT. The September LSAT is my goal, but I'll postpone if I still show reasonable improvements. My analytics show where I need to catch up to be up to par with the rest of 7Sage, and I agree that my analytics are accurate representations of my strengths and weaknesses at the moment. With my limited schedule, would it be better for me to stay on target with the Core and then do the PTs, or focus on the Analytics. There are disadvantages of both. Completing the entire core first may result in me wasting time on areas I'm already good with when I could have been taking more PTs and focusing on my weaker areas. The focus on Analytics results in burning through more tests for minor victories.

Also, I'd like to tell everyone that I'm back, and to thank you for talking me out of the June 2016 LSAT. I was going to start studying again, but then I got hit by a truck. I got out of physical therapy a month ago, and that's when I enrolled into 7Sage.

Comments

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    edited October 2016 10779 karma
    @H O Thomas,

First a biiiiig hug. <3 I am amazed and in awe of your strength of pursuing your dreams despite so much happening. I know how hard it could be and how precious time can be when you are working full time. So any time you have you want to use wisely. But if you are going to skip, I am going to have to ask you if you are also fast on those questions? Because the test is not just about getting things right, its also about getting things right fast. So, you can skip around, I do, but only because I believe I absolutely have this question type in understanding and speed.

I think the biggest drawback of skipping some sections in core curriculum is that you might be missing out on a very good and efficient strategy and you just would never know about it. But it may not reflect in your analytics because you got it right; just not efficiently. Also, I think LSAT is all about learning and it never stops, so I think the best mindset is to realize that you might have to go back to core curriculum multiple times. Because the first time you go through it you might have missed something key.

But if you think, you really have a part of LR/any core curriculum down, I think you can skip it. But be ready to come back to it to learn more :)
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @Sami said:

I think the biggest drawback of skipping some sections in core curriculum is that you might be missing out on a very good and efficient strategy and you just would never know about it. But it may not reflect in your analytics because you got it right; just not efficiently. Also, I think LSAT is all about learning and it never stops, so I think the best mindset is to realize that you might have to go back to core curriculum multiple times. Because the first time you go through it you might have missed something key.
    Took the words out of my mouth and worded them even better! :)

I would follow through with finishing the CC first. Many high scorers actually personally recommended to go through it a couple of times. I disagree that there are any downsides to finishing the curriculum. Even if you already know something, having it reinforced isn't a waste of time.

Also, welcome back! I'm glad to hear you are doing better and in good spirits!
  • H O ThomasH O Thomas Alum Member
    204 karma
    @"Alex Divine" @Sami
    Thank you both for your responses. I will complete the CC first, then go into the tests.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @"H O Thomas" said:
    @"Alex Divine" @Sami
    Thank you both for your responses. I will complete the CC first, then go into the tests.
    You won't regret it :)