Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Low LSAT, High GPA, CS Major, Where should I apply?

amehm2amehm2 Free Trial Member
Lets be brief: 147 LSAT, 3.92 GPA, Dual Major of Computer Science and Legal Studies, and a very impressive resume. Whats the best school I could get into?

Comments

• Burt MacklinBurt Macklin Alum Member
    170 karma
    Impressive GPA! Given your evident hard work ethic I think you should be able to pull a better LSAT score than that. But, you can plug those stats into the websites below to see what schools might accept you.
    http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/wp-content/uploads/Law-School-Predictor-Matcher.htm
    https://mylsn.info/
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @amehm2

Hey dude,

Congrats on the really high GPA. We actually have the exact same GPA. Only my major was a lot easier than CS, haha. So kudos for that!

To answer your question, I don't think there is a "best school" you can get into with a 147 that is accredited. When deciding on grad schools, particularly law schools, one should avoid the "what is the best school I can get into" with a low LSAT mentality. There are 2 main reasons for this. The first reason is you can always retake the LSAT. It is never set in stone. And to be honest, if you managed a 3.92 GPA, you almost certainly very intelligent, hardworking, and driven. The exact qualities you'd need to get an LSAT score that will get you into a law school worth attending.

The second reason is that when you apply with that mentality you are no longer operating from a position of prudence where you would be choosing a school on the important merits like cost, location, faculty/student ratio, and what types of employers, and how many, recruit on campus each year?

These are all some really important things you want to consider when thinking about law school. And you'll find that law schools that admit students with sub-150s LSATs tend to have poor employment outlooks, little career and service counseling help, and high tuition prices.

With all that out of the way, let me ask you a few things:

How did you prepare when you last took the LSAT?
    How many practice tests did you take?
    How long did you prep?

Judging by your impressive GPA and major in CS I would have to guess you might not have studied long enough or have taken enough PTs... Just a guess. Apologies if I am completely wrong ....

I'm just a really firm believer that with hard work almost anyone can achieve an LSAT score in the 150s. And when you add in the raw intelligence you have to that equation, I don't see any reason you can't get an LSAT score that would get you admission into a place like Harvard!

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27823 karma
    Yeah, it's kinda hard to say. I definitely agree that it would be worth the effort to try and raise your LSAT score. Play around with the numbers and you'll see that even raising your score by 5-10 points makes a huge difference. On 7Sage, I know tons of people who have increased their scores by 20+ points. Plug that in, and obviously you're dealing with a whole new world of possibilities.

Here's LSAC's % calculator which I think is based on much better data than lsn. This will give you a really good idea of the range you fall into (or, if you want to tinker with it, the range you could fall into:)

https://officialguide.lsac.org/Release/UGPALSAT/UGPALSAT.aspx