Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BR Confidence Question

ToxoplasmosisToxoplasmosis Alum Member
in General 233 karma
Looking for some input. I have found that overwhelmingly the questions I mark for BR are questions that I am getting right while the questions I am missing are ones that I am not marking for BR. This seems to indicate to me that I am under confident on certain types of questions and over confident on others. Has anyone else experienced this and if so how did you work on getting your BR to better focus on your weaknesses? For example I marked 12 LR questions total for BR while taking PT 70 yesterday, of those 12 I only ended up getting 2 of them wrong during the test. I realize the benefit of using BR to reinforce concepts you know but are not confident on, but I would like it to also better reflect my weaknesses.

Comments

• nessa.k13.0nessa.k13.0 Inactive ⭐
    edited October 2016 4141 karma
    Are there any trends in the types of questions you are getting wrong because of confidence errors? Have you looked at why you are getting those questions wrong? (Is it an issue with flaws, conditional logic, intersections? Are you having issues with different types of reasoning -causation, correlation, phenomenon/hypothesis, argument by analogy?) When I had confidence errors, I returned to J.Y.'s lesson on the question type and critically reevaluated my approach to those questions. Often, I also had to change my understanding of what the LSAT notes is a correct answer for certain flaws or qts and learn why that is the case.
  • ToxoplasmosisToxoplasmosis Alum Member
    233 karma
    @nessa.k13.0 Thanks for the response. I looked back at my analytics for any discernible pattern and am unable to find one. The question types I missed but did not mark for BR are 1 RRE, 1 NA, 1 MBT, 1 PF and 1 AP. I think I'm just going to back through PT 70 and do those questions again untimed while writing out explanations for each AC. Hopefully that process will help me identify and eliminate flawed understandings of those questions while simultaneously reinforcing some good approaches I already have
  • SherryS1SherryS1 Member
    477 karma
    @Toxoplasmosis I think this may be a bit against convention but I BR my full LR sections with special attention to the questions I circled. I'll mark each question type, indicate the conclusion and support, and go through each answer choice noting where it strays or is on the mark.

Alongside bolstering my familiarity with the test overall, this full BR has helped me realize that sometimes I fall into bad habits of sloppy reading, and then get caught by trap answer choices.

This may not be your issue at all but a full BR could allow you to see if your confidence errors can be caught with more time. It may also help you notice on your second review if there are specific aspects of these questions that are troubling to you or if you have specific ways of approaching them that may be proving problematic.
  • Not Ralph NaderNot Ralph Nader Alum Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2098 karma
    @Toxoplasmosis I had similar issue and what I did was to cut back on the questions that I mark for BR from 10+ to at most 3-5. If I ended up eliminating three answer choices for sure and left with only two I would not mark it. This helped me to take some hit and realize that I am not as good as I thought on those questions.
  • nessa.k13.0nessa.k13.0 Inactive ⭐
    edited October 2016 4141 karma
    @Toxoplasmosis redoing those questions sounds like a good idea! If you can, also try to see what kind of arguments are made in the stimulus (of those questions) and note how they are supported. I got better about confidence errors once I started noting how the LSAT stimuli strucures reasoning across question types (they use causation, phenomenon/hypothesis, and argument by analogy argumentation). Let me know how it goes and I hope you are able to get the errors straightened out soon!
  • bjphillips5bjphillips5 Alum Member
    1137 karma
    I occasionally experienced similar things on my PTs. The confidence errors are usually the questions I spend the most time going over because that's where my biggest issues are. I got something wrong and I absolutely thought I got it right. But the next PT or section practice I do, I'm very aware of the mistakes I made last time, so that I am less confident on the similar questions to the CEs from last time.