Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Studying at work

tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
in General 2573 karma
Hey guys! For those studying at work what are you reviewing? I'm specifically referring to studying at your desk. I currently have a stack of index cards that I go through throughout the day. This is getting very OLD for me! Is anyone doing something different? I'm looking for something pretty discreet. No open books on desks or playing videos on phones. I do that on my lunch break. I can listen to audio, but nothing that requires looking at the screen. Anybody?

Comments

• SimbatronSimbatron Member
    175 karma
    Haha I'm at work now, do most of my studying there actually (sh!)

I pre-photo copy LG and work on 1 game at a time under timed conditions. I just do the same ones over and over until I have completely mastered them. I find that since each game requires less than 10 min, I can spare those intervals throughout the day. Having the photo copies is not nearly as obvious as having a book open, I hope this helps!!
  • ToxoplasmosisToxoplasmosis Alum Member
    233 karma
    I typically do BR at work because I can just have a copy of the test and a word document open and that is very discrete.
  • tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma
    @Simbatron @Toxoplasmosis I might try the LG but IDK about the BR. I normally do BR during my lunch breaks. I always have the flashcards out so I thought about writing each question from a game on a flashcard so that it'll look like what I've always been doing. 8hrs a day is a mighty long time to be doing nothing LSAT! I gotta get it in when I can. I tried listening to webinars but it required too much of my attention so that didn't work for me. Can't really listen to any explanations without looking at the screen, ugh! Thx guys! I'm going to try the LG and I'll let you guys know if I come up with something else.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited October 2016 23929 karma
    @tanes256 said:
    Hey guys! For those studying at work what are you reviewing? I'm specifically referring to studying at your desk.
    I study at work during down time. I keep a packet of logic games in my desk so I always have them handy. I try to do 3-4 a day at work to keep me sharp. They only take 5-10 minutes to do and if I get interrupted and have to start over it is no big deal.

Also I watch the occasional video lesson from the curriculum at work too. That is one of my favorite things about 7Sage - that I can watch a 5 minute lesson and do the flash cards from previous lessons easily on my laptop.

If you can't do that, then try the logic games ploy. If anyone walks in my office it looks like I'm working on something. Besides, my boss is cool with it because he knows when there is work to be done I do it.
    2573 karma
    @Simbatron @Toxoplasmosis @"Alex Divine" I'm going to try LG. Unfortunately, it's not my boss that I think wouldn't be cool with it, it's my co-workers (haters, long story!). My boss knows I wouldn't slack on my duties, but we know it only takes that one pissy co-worker to say something. Hopefully I can get away with it! Thx guys!
  • ToxoplasmosisToxoplasmosis Alum Member
    233 karma
    Glad to know I'm not the only one feeling the struggle of studying for the LSAT and working a full time job on the side!
  • AlejandroAlejandro Member Inactive ⭐
    2424 karma
    The way I studied was pretty much staying on the office late at night and studying after work. Sometimes I studied on my desk and sometimes I grabbed a conference room to change things up. So long as I did my work and hit my numbers everyone was ok with it. Me studying for the LSAT wasn't a secret and I wouldn't want to be secretive about it if I were you. Hope everything works out!
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @tanes256 said:
    I'm going to try LG. Unfortunately, it's not my boss that I think wouldn't be cool with it, it's my co-workers (haters, long story!). My boss knows I wouldn't slack on my duties, but we know it only takes that one pissy co-worker to say something. Hopefully I can get away with it! Thx guys!
    Always going to be some haters man! At my last job I had a similar problem. You'll figure it out, lol.
    @Toxoplasmosis said:
    Glad to know I'm not the only one feeling the struggle of studying for the LSAT and working a full time job on the side!
    Yeah, it's certainly a grind, but I think it forces us to be more efficient with our time. When you have all day to prep and no job I think it might be easy to put stuff off and not work as efficiently.
  • camcam Alum Member
    edited October 2016 349 karma
    @"Alex Divine" said:
    Yeah, it's certainly a grind, but I think it forces us to be more efficient with our time.
    I can't agree with this statement any more than I currently do. I can't study at work anytime besides my lunch break, so I have found ways to be more efficient with my time outside of work.

I'm a military musician for my job, so if I'm not in a rehearsal or on a gig, I'm doing paperwork. Once I decided to use 7sage, I reevaluated how I spend my outside of work time. That shift allowed me to go from struggling to hit 3hrs per day consistently to letting me hit 5-6hrs per day where I feel fairly fresh going into the session. 1.5-2hrs before work, about an hour during lunch (2hr lunch break), and then another 2-3hrs when I get home. I spend less time on LSAT after work if I still have homework to do (I take 6 credit hours at a time via distance education), but the before work study session is always LSAT. I figure, I have been taking an advancement test twice a year for the last five years first thing in the morning mixed with the LSAT being a test first thing in the morning, why not get at least part of my study time when I'm in the same awake/alert state as I will be on test day?
    2573 karma
    @cam wow my schedule isn't that hectic! I'm up at 4:30 everyday so studying before isn't an option for me. I'm usually home around 2:30-3 and settled by 4. I was just trying to find ways to get in some studying at work. My job tends to get very robotic for me. I'm normally just singing along with whatever is playing in my headphones while proofreading and editing docs. I just figured I could be doing something that was actually beneficial. This weekend I'm getting a schedule together and printing LG to try and sneak some in throughout the day. I hope this works because I need a change from those flash cards!
  • camcam Alum Member
    349 karma
    @tanes256 , if you're already using headphones at work, could you treat the curriculum like an audio book? I don't know how effective it would be, but it would be something.

My schedule sounds worse than it is. The busy/touring season is brutal, but the slow season is great. The biggest challenge with my schedule is the lack of consistency, e.g. my days off are rarely the same week to week, start/end times vary quite a bit, and I don't tend to have the most consistent sleep schedule. Liquid Caffeine is my friend.

Good luck with the study schedule!