Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tough question save for later?

Giant PandaGiant Panda Alum Member
in General 274 karma
Hi team,

Just a curious note. Please let me know your thoughts.

I had just finished the weakening question sets. I did them by writing it out by pen: each context, premise, and conclusion while also, trying my best, writing out an anticipated assumption, which sometimes do become the right answer choice.

Yes, I am way out of the 1:30s time frame, but by doing this, I have been forcing myself in getting everything into a "habit" when reading.

But recently L4 and 5 questions have been a pain. I can miss maybe 3 out of 5 questions and sometimes having a difficult time in getting down an answer.

Therefore, I want to save those questions for later as I really don't like to waste problems. Thoughts on this?

And also, just curious, how do you approach the difficult problems? Do you save it for later and make a concentrated study just on those problems or do you just go head and do them anyway. Example: https://7sage.com/lesson/weaken-questions-problem-set-14/

Much love,

Panda

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @"Giant Panda" said:
    Panda
    Hey Panda,

Good questions... I know I had the same problems and questions not too long back when I began the course.
    @"Giant Panda" said:

But recently L4 and 5 questions have been a pain. I can miss maybe 3 out of 5 questions and sometimes having a difficult time in getting down an answer.

Therefore, I want to save those questions for later as I really don't like to waste problems. Thoughts on this?
    I would suggest rewatching the lesson and then returning to the questions. When you rewatch the lessons try to think of what is causing you to miss the harder problems?

Also, I am glad to hear you are anticipating the answers or "pre-phrasing" but do be sure to be flexible when heading into the answer choices. Let your pre-phrased answer act as a guide that leads you towards selecting the right answer and eliminating the 4 wrong answer choices. In other words, sometimes our pre-phrases don't match the right answer exactly...Especially for Strengthen/Weaken questions. There are so many hypothetical things that could weaken an argument for example, that it can be quite hard to pre=phrase or anticipate exactly what the correct answer choice will be.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27823 karma
    Especially for Strengthen/Weaken questions. There are so many hypothetical things that could weaken an argument for example, that it can be quite hard to pre=phrase or anticipate exactly what the correct answer choice will be.
    Except on SA, PSA, RRE, and maybe one or two others; I'm wary of prephrasing in general, but I've found it's particularly problematic with harder Strengthen/Weaken questions which I consider the most difficult question types on the test. There's a million things that could strengthen or weaken an argument, so coming up with a specific prephrase is likely to lead you astray on the harder difficulty ones. Instead, I like to go into the answer choices with a solid understanding of the argument and an open mind. If you see gaps then you should of course be aware of the potential that they might exploit those, but you shouldn't latch on to any one thing in neglect of the rest. That's what distinguishes anticipating from prephrasing and it is much more effective on these.