Professor I was planning to ask for LOR is moving - Can I ask for LOR now and use it later?

krstensekrstense Alum Member

One of the professors that I was planning to ask for a letter of recommendation told me that she was moving to the other side of the country at the end of this school year. Could I ask her for a letter of recommendation now and just let the letter sit in my CAS until I need it when I apply next cycle?

I am a current junior, planning to apply during next year's cycle (October, 2018). I think I saw online that letters of recommendation are valid for up to five years, but I was just worried that the date difference between when I receive the letter and when I use it may affect my applications somehow.

Does anyone have any advice or insight on my situation? Thank you in advance!

Comments

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    3072 karma

Yeah, I don't see why not.

• xtinextinextinextine Member
    861 karma

You'll be totally fine since you're applying in the fall! :smile: If you decide to postpone for whatever reason, then you can ask your profs to update the date on their LORs for whatever cycle/year you apply. I recently spoke to an admissions director who told me that's a small detail they look for -- which is something I've read about before but didn't give it much thought. I suppose when you're going up against similar applicants, every detail matters.

• @krstense said:
    One of the professors that I was planning to ask for a letter of recommendation told me that she was moving to the other side of the country at the end of this school year. Could I ask her for a letter of recommendation now and just let the letter sit in my CAS until I need it when I apply next cycle?

I am a current junior, planning to apply during next year's cycle (October, 2018). I think I saw online that letters of recommendation are valid for up to five years, but I was just worried that the date difference between when I receive the letter and when I use it may affect my applications somehow.

Does anyone have any advice or insight on my situation? Thank you in advance!

Totally, I have had the same situation for this cycle

• calcal101calcal101 Alum Member
    582 karma

Yup, you can def ask now. Alternatively, you could let her know now and just submit the request closer to when you’ll be submitting. If they know you well enough to write a LOR, they shouldn’t forget over the summer. Don’t worry about dates

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

Yes

• krstensekrstense Alum Member
    9 karma

Thank you everyone, I appreciate your help!

• lsatplaylistlsatplaylist Member
    5249 karma

Yes, it's wise to ask, get it completed, and file it now.