Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why Penn Essay

davi2526davi2526 Alum Member
So Penn doesn't have a specific "Why do you want to go to Penn" essay prompt, but one of the optional essays is:

These are the core strengths that make Penn Law the best place to receive a rigorous and engaging legal education: genuine integration with associated disciplines; transformative, forward-looking faculty scholarship; highly-regarded experiential learning through urban clinics and our pro bono pledge; innovative, hands-on global engagement; and a manifest commitment to professional development and collegiality. These qualities define Penn Law. What defines you? How do your goals and values match Penn Law’s core strengths?

Is this just a long-winded way of asking Why Penn? Or should I really spend a good deal of the essay talking about some of my own traits?

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @davi2526 said:

Is this just a long-winded way of asking Why Penn? Or should I really spend a good deal of the essay talking about some of my own traits?
    Sorta....

I would be sure to discuss and detail how your values align with Penn's like they ask. I think if you do a good job of this it will essentially answer the question of "Why Penn?"

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    This has a strong "Why Penn?" correlation, but yea as Alex said, discuss in detail how you're a good match for Penn; that's usually what's required in a "why X" essay anyway. Keep it concise, too.
  • Stevie CStevie C Alum Member
    645 karma
    Answer the question as posed. They're not specifically asking "Why Penn?" because they don't want to hear answers like "It's in the Ivy League!" or "The professors are great!" or "I like cheese steaks!"

They want to hear 1) Why Penn Law, in particular, would further your educational and professional goals and 2) How your strengths and past experiences can further Penn Law's institutional goals/values