Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Logic Game Strategies Anyone?

hannah526hannah526 Member
in General 89 karma
I need some advice..
I have been studying for 4 months and my scores are going up (thanks 7 sage!) One area I know I can improve on is LG... I have an average of -9 on my LG PTs..so I can definitely get extra points in this area.

I have spent countless hours going over games in the early 30s-70s. I have practiced timing myself for full sections, single games, and I have practiced without a time constraint.

I have been using a strategy that a 7-sager suggested- with an excel doc recording each PT Game I have done with the date, time and score. I expected the mass of games that I studied to help with fresh PTs, but I still feel rushed under time constraint (often leaving several questions unfinished). I have definitely made a lot of improvement and going over the games has increased my confidence, but what type of prep will increase speed??

Thanks 7-sagers you are the best!!!
-Hannah

Comments

• Not Ralph NaderNot Ralph Nader Alum Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2098 karma
    @hannah526 I have tried below method and it worked for me. I hope you find it useful.
    @"Not Ralph Nader" said:
    Memorize all the inferences and try to implement them. The inferences and questions repeat over and over. Let me give you just one example, one of the grouping game in PT60s is almost identical to a game in PT30s and I mean even the key inferences are the same. So do not feel bad if you memorize reasoning for a right answer choice and choose it from memory as long as you can remember the reasoning.

I have combined number of great advices on 7Sage and created a practice routine for myself, take a look at it change it to meet your needs and I am sure you can improve dramatically within a short time on LG. Use the timer when taking LG section to develop an internal time clock to know when you should move on from a game

@nader.parham said:
    After fool proofing LG Bundle, take LG sections of PT 1-35 under time and watch J.Y explanation after completing each section but this time when you watching focus mostly on how he teaches to perceive the right answer choice (instead of brute force) and try to implement his suggestions on the next section.

Do not get bog down on one question (take a hint if possible) but if you find one super difficult and you are confident about your master game board, skip the question answer others in that particular game then come back to it use your other set ups you drew; if nothing works finish the section and if you have extra time come back to it. The ultimate goal is to be able to systematically answer any questions so when under exam pressure you just follow your system. You need to develop a system that works best for you. The system I am trying to follow is like

1- read the question set up the sketch try make obvious inferences
    2- check answer choices
    3- If still confused take count of the items write them near questions and go through the rules one by one make inferences
    4- check answer choices
    5- If still stuck, SKIP the question
    6- After I have done all other questions I will take another try at it by only checking the question against all of my sketches (I do not try to make inferences again unless I already finished the section)

Pacifico Logic Games Attack Strategy

https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/2737/logic-games-attack-strategy

J.Y fool-proof guide

https://7sage.com/lesson/fool-proof-guide-to-perfection-on-logic-games/

Online Stopwatch with Loop-countdown
    http://www.online-stopwatch.com/loop-countdown/
    I hope this help

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    Hey Hannah,

I would try to avoid doing LG games from the newer tests. You almost certainly want to save the more recent PTs for when you begin doing full PTs.

I would fool proof all of the games from PTs 1-35. Make sure you can do those and master the inferences used to solve those 140 games. I think if you can master the skills and strategies to do those games, you'll find most of the newer games are quite similar, comprised of recycled inferences. You're going to run into odd ball games every now and then, but overall, you'll be able to do most games without a problem. Furthermore, mastering or "fool proofing" all of the games from PTs 1-35 will help you to increase your speed.

Another thing you may want to do that I advocate is returning to the lessons on logic games and conditional rules. If you master and memorize the fundamentals you will increase your speed. You want to be able to translate the rules into logic and diagram quickly and efficiently.

Are there any particular game types you find you have more trouble with than others?
  • Q.E.DQ.E.D Alum Member
    556 karma
    I bombed LG on my diagnostic. It was slaughter. Maybe it's different for you, but I solve most problems by just waiting for the answer to pop in my head. It's a fine approach for RC and LR where the information you need to consider is more integrated, compact and semantic. It's clearly an awful strategy in LG. You need to stick religiously to the process and let the active routine ferret out the data.

In summary, avoid a passive approach. If you just wait for the answers to hit you, you're gonna choke. Be active. Check the rules. Check the diagram. Check the rules. Do some hypothetical recon. Stay in motion.

That turn of attitude has helped me tremendously. Also, these folks have a good formula. Focused the above commentary on attitude since the 7sage community knows all the concrete prep answers you need.

Good luck.
  • hannah526hannah526 Member
    89 karma
    Thanks everyone! This is SOO helpful! @"Not Ralph Nader" I love the idea of using the stopwatch with the loops..smart!!

@Alex Divine-- Good point! Looking back over the fundamentals is helping me so much already! I guess I did not realize I was getting rusty on conditional logic..

I appreciate your strategies and personal stories guys.. It helps knowing I am not the only one pushing past the LG mountain;)
  • hannah526hannah526 Member
    89 karma
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @hannah526 said:
    @Alex Divine-- Good point! Looking back over the fundamentals is helping me so much already! I guess I did not realize I was getting rusty on conditional logic..
    Good! I also seem to learn so much by rewatching the lesson a second time. It feels like things truly sink in the second time around.

It also helped me tremendously to take notes my second time around. Just the act of distilling important information and writing things down helped me a lot actually.