Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What to write in email requesting LOR?

LSAT4234LSAT4234 Alum Member
in General 75 karma
Would be very difficult to meet recommender in person so I was wondering how I would go about asking for a LOR via email. Should I suggest anything for the recommender to write about?

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @LSAT4234 said:
    Would be very difficult to meet recommender in person so I was wondering how I would go about asking for a LOR via email. Should I suggest anything for the recommender to write about?
    When you email your professors for LORs, keep it pretty concise, but cover the following 3 things:

1) A refresher on who you are/the classes you took with them

2) Overview of what you've been doing since you graduated

3) Use point 2 to segue to your plans, i.e., law school with a brief summary as to why you're applying/what your career goals are.

Importantly (so, I guess 4 things to cover!), when you make the ask for the LOR, note that you've attached your current resume for their reference and ask if there is any other information you can provide that would be helpful to them. (You want to make it as easy as possible for them to say yes.)

Good luck!

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    edited November 2016 11542 karma
    If you absolutely can't meet in person, then email or phone call (to the department) would be the next best thing. How long have you been out the undergrad scene? I think Alex pretty much said what I would suggest but I might also add that meeting up in person wasn't possible for X reason(s). Don't want them thinking you're just being lazy and not making an effort to meet face to face haha.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @montaha.rizeq said:
    I think Alex pretty much said what I would suggest but I might also add that meeting up in person wasn't possible for X reason(s). Don't want them thinking you're just being lazy and not making an effort to meet face to face haha.
    Yeah, I don't think it would hurt to add in a little blurb about your difficulty with in-person meeting. Good thinking @montaha.rizeq :)
  • Stevie CStevie C Alum Member
    edited November 2016 645 karma
    Don't suggest specifics for them to write about until they've agreed to write it -- you don't want to come off as presumptuous. First goal: remind them who you are, say you liked their class, and ask them nicely for a recommendation