Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need Help In RC

I have tried many different approaches for RC. I am averaging only 65/70% correct and it is taking me overage of 14 min. to finish passages.

Can you please give me some pointers. I am starting to panic!

P.S. I have reviewed RC videos and have completed the first set of RC passages. I do not want to go further in RC without correcting what am doing wrong. VERY UPSET!

Comments

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    10774 karma
    Hey Don't be upset : )

I think I need more information to be helpful. How long do you take to read each passage? How long do you spend on just doing questions? Are you reading for structure or details? Are you skipping the hard questions?

• Martin01Martin01 Member
    343 karma
    I have 2 bachelors, 3 minors and a masters. Throughout my entire education, I have been taught to read for details, especial during attaining my masters.

It feels crazy not to focus on details. I am not comfortable with that at all. It is taking me approximately 14 minutes per passage and questions (6 minutes per passage and 6/8 minutes on questions). Sometimes longer.

I do not skip questions. I answer them in order and to the best of my ability.

I do not know how to read for structure. I have tried, but I just feel totally lost.
  • SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    10774 karma
    @Martin01

hmm it might help if we work through a passage together. If you want, I can go over a passage with you on Discord this weekend.
  • Martin01Martin01 Member
    343 karma
    Yes. Please send me some days and times that will work for you and I will do my best to accommodate!
  • Stevie CStevie C Alum Member
    645 karma
    I'm not the bomb at RC but my average is 2/3 wrong per section
    @Martin01 said:
    I have 2 bachelors, 3 minors and a masters. Throughout my entire education, I have been taught to read for details, especial during attaining my masters.

It feels crazy not to focus on details. I am not comfortable with that at all. It is taking me approximately 14 minutes per passage and questions (6 minutes per passage and 6/8 minutes on questions). Sometimes longer.

I do not skip questions. I answer them in order and to the best of my ability.

I do not know how to read for structure. I have tried, but I just feel totally lost.
    1) 6 minutes reading a passage is too long. I would aim for 5 max.

2) 6/8 minutes on questions is way too long. Never spend more than 1 minute on an RC
    question. Your average should be under 45 seconds

3) You have to skip questions. You would do significantly better if you changed this tactic

4) In terms of reading for structure, I like to take 10 seconds after each paragraph and make a one (maybe two) word shorthand note about its point, such as "Prblm" or "Pot. Sltn" .. It takes time, but it helps later on
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27821 karma
    @"Stevie C" said:
    1) 6 minutes reading a passage is too long. I would aim for 5 max.

2) 6/8 minutes on questions is way too long. Never spend more than 1 minute on an RC
    question. Your average should be under 45 seconds

3) You have to skip questions. You would do significantly better if you changed this tactic

4) In terms of reading for structure, I like to take 10 seconds after each paragraph and make a one (maybe two) word shorthand note about its point, such as "Prblm" or "Pot. Sltn" .. It takes time, but it helps later on
    Well said.

The main thing you've got to remember is that your goal here is different from your goal with academic reading. You are reading to accomplish an entirely different task, and so you have to acknowledge that in your approach. So what is your task: It's to answer as many questions correctly as possible in the time allowed. To do that, you are going to have to employ some unhealthy, reckless habits that would be completely unacceptable in an academic context. If you don't acknowledge that reality, you are going to have a rough go at it, and you are going to hobble your potential and ultimately your prospects.

@Sami said:
    hmm it might help if we work through a passage together. If you want, I can go over a passage with you on Discord this weekend.
    This is excellent, haha. Take Sami up on this, as it looks like you intend to. I've worked some RC with her and she really knows her stuff!