Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How valuable is re-doing old PTs?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Free Trial
in General 107 karma
The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    Very useful to re-do practice tests!

It allows you to focus on the process rather than just worrying about getting the right answer. It also will tell you if you've improved and what you've improved on. Similarly, it will tell you what you may still need to work on, especially if you get the same questions wrong!

Ultimately, you're score will likely be inflated a bit, but it's great practice either way!
  • danielznelsondanielznelson Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4181 karma
    YES! This may not have been necessary to getting my score, but it was certainly very helpful.

I've arguably learned more through retakes than through fresh takes, at least later in my prep. Retakes reveal ACs you got lucky with the first time, test your reasoning on questions you think you understood the first time around, and allow you to practice various strategies, including skipping strategies and your general approach to RC passages.

As the September test date loomed, I took a lot of retakes in the 70s, which I think was crucial to understanding exactly what was going on in the newest tests. It's hard to see such patterns, unless you're exposing yourself to them repeatedly. And plowing through fresh 70s just to get used to them is dangerously wasteful.
  • Connor180Connor180 Member
    edited December 2016 123 karma
    I've found going back through old problems to be one the most useful things I have done so far. I haven't gone back through old PT's (though I plan to), but I've gone back through most of the CC twice now and the second time through really helped.
  • SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    10795 karma
    @Thoughtful said:
    arguing that it reinforces their skills.
    It not only reinforces skills, it also exposes concepts that you didn't completely understand for the first time. If you missed the same question twice it shows you what you truly need to work on.
  • desire2learndesire2learn Member
    1171 karma
    I think it has some application but to me it should be done "unscored" which means you should put ZERO and possibly negative stock in your score outcome. It also has some drawbacks if you start to lose your ability/skills in responding to fresh material. They are very different encounters.