Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is the best way to start off a Personal Statement?

combsnicombsni Free Trial Member
edited December 2016 in Law School Admissions 652 karma
Should I just dive in or is there protocol when doing a statement?

Comments

• danielznelsondanielznelson Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    edited December 2016 4181 karma
    As a starting point, tell your story aloud. Whatever you start off with in your story, try using that to start off your personal statement.
  • combsnicombsni Free Trial Member
    652 karma
    @danielznelson should I format it like a cover letter or what?
  • danielznelsondanielznelson Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4181 karma
    No, I don't think so. Your personal statement is to illuminate who you are as an applicant, so being, for lack of a better term, more personable is your biggest aid.

One thing David Busis taught me is to work towards creating a narrative, rather than a thesis. I was naturally doing the latter based off of my history with writing. Approaching at it with the former made everything much more telling and more memorable. It made things easier, as well.
  • Stevie CStevie C Alum Member
    edited December 2016 645 karma
    I would focus on what story you want to tell, how you will structure it, and what personal qualities you want to convey.

The first sentence is not a dealbreaker. You don't necessarily have to "hook" them upfront like a news article --because the admissions officer is going to read and evaluate the whole essay
  • combsnicombsni Free Trial Member
    652 karma
    @"Stevie C" also should it be double spaced?
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27821 karma
    @danielznelson said:
    One thing David Busis taught me is to work towards creating a narrative, rather than a thesis.
    Yeah, this is the main thing. I think of the personal statement as a way to put a human face on your application which is otherwise just a bunch of hard data.
  • Tinyosi1Tinyosi1 Alum Member
    235 karma
    @combsni said:
    also should it be double spaced?
    I am not who you asked, but the best answer to this would be to read the directions of each school you are applying. Some schools are pretty specific and others will let you decide. As a general rule many will probably prefer double-spaced, but you should always check what the school says about it.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    It really depends on how you are writing and structuring your PS. There's no rule book, but you want to make sure that is draws the reader in. Admissions officers are said to read these in the hundreds, so make sure you catch and hold their attention!