Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Personal Statement Question...

in General 308 karma
Do we have to talk about why we are applying to a particular law school in our personal statements? Some of the schools I'm applying to do not ask for a "Why School X?" type essay so do we have to talk about that in the personal statements even if it's not asked of us in the prompts?

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @"Artak Mamikonyan" said:
    Do we have to talk about why we are applying to a particular law school in our personal statements? Some of the schools I'm applying to do not ask for a "Why School X?" type essay so do we have to talk about that in the personal statements even if it's not asked of us in the prompts?
    No, you don't have to, but you can personalize the essays to include that and/or write a separate Why X essay. You can usually attach Why X essays in an addendum to schools that don't ask for them. But if there's truly no way, you can always add a bit in your PS.
  • 308 karma
    @"Alex Divine" Got it! thanks man. I might have to just mention that at least in the addendum then or something.
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    The best advice I can give is, stick to the prompt. If they tell you to write about anything, than writing about anything (well...somehow relate it to law school). If they ask you why you want to attend their law school, that's what you'll write about.
  • lawschoolstuff16lawschoolstuff16 Alum Member
    328 karma
    @MrSamIam said:
    The best advice I can give is, stick to the prompt. If they tell you to write about anything, than writing about anything (well...somehow relate it to law school). If they ask you why you want to attend their law school, that's what you'll write about.
    Exactly this. I wrote a general (2page max) personal statement that I'm sending out to all of my schools. Then, I have a list of schools that I'm applying to that have their own personal prompts that I'm sending a tweaked version of my essay to.
  • 308 karma
    @lawschoolstuff16 How are you sending schools 2 personal statements though if you don't mind me asking?
  • 180pronto180pronto Free Trial Member
    58 karma
    If you do decide to add a "why x law school" bit:

1. Sew it into your personal statement without swaying away from the prompt, or
    2. Add it to your application as an addendum. Many law schools include a section which accepts any type of attachments one may want to add.
    3. Submit your application and after the school has received it, email them your "why x law school" and request it be attached to your application.

Make sure you do your research on specialization(s) and/or programs the school may offer and show interest in such programs/specialization(s).
    328 karma
    @lawschoolstuff16 How are you sending schools 2 personal statements though if you don't mind me asking?
    Can you specify what you mean by "how"?
  • 308 karma
    i think @180pronto kinda answered my question. I meant where would i submit two different personal statements. I guess i can just add the second one under the addendum. @lawschoolstuff16 is that what you meant?
    328 karma
    I guess i can just add the second one under the addendum. @lawschoolstuff16 is that what you meant?
    Well, sort of. I just have one "general" personal statement, not directed to any school in particular that I can send out to all my schools. But, there are some schools whose personal statements are "why our school" prompts. Instead of sending them the general statement, I tweak my "original/master" statement so that it says that school specifically and send it out.

You can also send additional statements to the school, so usually I will just send my personal statement, and then write a 'why x school' statement and either email it to the school (they'll add it to your file) or upload it through LSAC. Both work.
  • 308 karma
    @lawschoolstuff16 ohhh okay i got you. so do you write a 'why x school' statement for every school you apply to separately even if they don't ask for one?
    328 karma
    @lawschoolstuff16 ohhh okay i got you. so do you write a 'why x school' statement for every school you apply to separately even if they don't ask for one?
    I'm planning on it. My goal is to have all my application materials sent out by Sept 1st 2017 (I'm just waiting on LSAT at this point) which gives me enough time to put those materials together. I don't think I'll submit it to every school -- just the schools that I want to go to. I write their optional essays, and then include a why x school (if it wasn't one of the prompts). Just use your judgement when looking over what theyre asking for/what you're sending in.