Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UNC Statement Essay1(Personal Statement) Question

SLP_futureJDSLP_futureJD Alum Member
edited December 2018 in Law School Admissions 464 karma

Hi,

UNC Chapel Hill has a specific personal statement prompt that reads:

The legal profession plays a vital role in the pursuit of justice and in sustaining the institutions of society, including governments, private corporations and organizations, nonprofit organizations, families and individuals. Please write a statement discussing why you want to become a member of the legal profession and why you think you are prepared for the ethical, professional, and time demands of the profession.

My personal statement is a narrative and indirectly answers these questions but doesn't spell it out so specifically as it seems the question is asking. I wrote an essay that answers these questions specifically, but it seems more like a résumé rehash and way less interesting than my personal statement. My personal statement is 2 pages (the limit for UNC), so I don't have a lot of wiggle room other than decreasing the font to size 10 (their minimum font size).

Is anyone else applying to Chapel Hill? Did you write a new personal statement or just tweak a narrative version that you're using for other schools?

Thank you!

Comments

• ChardiggityChardiggity Alum Member
    336 karma

I'm in the same boat. My current PS is about character qualities gained through life experience, so I'm thinking about writing another one to address my motivation, and then talking at the end about the preparation angle. Like you, I don't know how to do that without it being a rehash, so I may just keep it short-ish. So I don't have advice, necessarily, just how I think I'm going to go about it.

• SLP_futureJDSLP_futureJD Alum Member
    464 karma

@Chardiggity Thank you! I ended up writing a new short introduction paragraph that basically restates the question and says the experience below demonstrates these qualities....I think it works. I guess we'll see :) Good luck! thank you for the feedback!