Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Low(er) than average GPA, but high LSAT score

sophie74sophie74 Free Trial Member
Hi all,

After looking through the UGPA/LSAT score search feature on LSAC, I am discouraged that even with a hypothetical 180, my GPA brings my chances of getting into the top schools down significantly.

Is it true that a high LSAT cannot compensate for a lower than average (based on school) GPA?

Comments

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    edited January 2017 27822 karma
    @sokarpf said:
    Is it true that a high LSAT cannot compensate for a lower than average (based on school) GPA?
    It is absolutely not true. If you get that 180, pretty much any school is going to try and find a way to work with you on the GPA. @"Nicole Hopkins" got into Northwestern on scholarship with a 170 LSAT and somewhere in the neighborhood of a 2.9 GPA from Princeton.

Ignore the chances and master the LSAT. You're in the right place to do it!
  • sophie74sophie74 Free Trial Member
    373 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" said:
    It is absolutely true.
    Hopefully you misspoke, and meant, it is NOT true?
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma
    I did misspeak, haha! It is absolutely NOT true!!!
  • camcam Alum Member
    349 karma
    You might check out MyLSN or Law School Numbers to see what people in the past have been admitted with. Granted, those are self reported samples, but you might see a little bit different information than on the LSAC page.

http://mylsn.info/r/pre-law/admissions/search/
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    @sokarpf said:
    Not true in the slightest. The LSAT outweighs your GPA/PS/DS/LORs. Give the LSAT another shot and keep your head up.
  • cetienn2cetienn2 Member
    28 karma
    You are in the running for Georgetown, Columbia, NYU, Northwestern, Michigan,UPenn, Virginia, and Duke if you score at least a 169
  • Chipster StudyChipster Study Yearly Member
    893 karma
    I have been told by admissions deans that if you score way high on the LSAT and you put some years between you and a low GPA, they (with possible exception of YHS) will disregard it. The schools have to report medians so if you are .1 in GPA below the median that is the same as having a 2.0 as far as reporting to USNews. I have also been told that by the law school coaches across the board. But everyone said high LSAT is like 177-180, not 171.

I had one coach tell me that you never know with YHS. They have such prestigious profiles that they can take any low numbers they want if it is an interesting applicant. They can make up the deficit with the rest of the pool because so many applicants have such high numbers.
  • sophie74sophie74 Free Trial Member
    373 karma
    @cam Thank you so much for this suggestion! I've never heard of law school numbers before, but it looks like a great resource.
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    @"Chipster Study" said:
    I had one coach tell me that you never know with YHS. They have such prestigious profiles that they can take any low numbers they want if it is an interesting applicant. They can make up the deficit with the rest of the pool because so many applicants have such high numbers.
    I too have heard this. Sometimes, you never know.