Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

cornell video interview

ppcoelho1ppcoelho1 Alum Member

I've just been asked to do the Kira interview for Cornell. I was wondering if anyone here has done that interview and can give me some guidance as to how to prepare.
Also, are all applicants asked to do this? is it a good or bad sign?

Comments

• tylerdschreur10tylerdschreur10 Alum Member
    1465 karma

No idea, but Cornell has been creeping up my list of preferred schools, so following this thread!!

• jack.igoejack.igoe Member
    544 karma

Hey! I was just asked as well. I think it's pretty common. Hope it went well for you if you've done it already.

• Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    edited January 2018 3521 karma

Hey! So I did it. Honestly it was really difficult. Use the "practice" option frequently to get timing down and get comfortable with the format. You'll only have ~1 or 2 minutes to answer some thought-provoking questions so get to the point fast.

I just got off the phone with Monica Ingram - Associate Dean of Admissions at Cornell. She called me to let me know I was admitted :smile:. But anyway, she's the lady that's in the video you watch before you do the interview. I joked with her and was like "Hey! I remember you! You were the lady in the videos!"

She replied, "Hahaha don't remind me. You weren't the only one who had to record some painful videos!"

^I hope this gives you insight into how the Cornell admissions office looks at these interviews. They know the format is hard! They don't expect perfection, but I think they expect you to be able to speak well and handle yourself. Smile and be open and friendly to the camera, and just say some stuff that's coherent. To be honest, many of my answers sucked, but I think smiling and being confident took me a long way.

• jack.igoejack.igoe Member
    544 karma

@"Paul Caint" said:
    Hey! So I did it. Honestly it was really difficult. Use the "practice" option frequently to get timing down and get comfortable with the format. You'll only have ~1 or 2 minutes to answer some thought-provoking questions so get to the point fast.

I just got off the phone with Monica Ingram - Associate Dean of Admissions at Cornell. She called me to let me know I was admitted :smile:. But anyway, she's the lady that's in the video you watch before you do the interview. I joked with her and was like "Hey! I remember you! You were the lady in the videos!"

She replied, "Hahaha don't remind me. You weren't the only one who had to record some painful videos!"

^I hope this gives you insight into how the Cornell admissions office looks at these interviews. They know the format is hard! They don't expect perfection, but I think they expect you to be able to speak well and handle yourself. Smile and be open and friendly to the camera, and just say some stuff that's coherent. To be honest, many of my answers sucked, but I think smiling and being confident took me a long way.

Congrats Paul!! When did you interview? I just got the invitation today!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"Paul Caint" said:

Congrats man! Cornell is one of my top choices for sure. Have you ever been to Ithica?

Anyways, I dread the idea of doing these pre-recorded videos. I'd much rather do an in-person interview. I'll be sure to practice my on-camera smile :)

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Admitted! Awesome!

• ppcoelho1ppcoelho1 Alum Member
    156 karma

@"Paul Caint" congrats!! how long after the interview did you get the call?

• Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    edited January 2018 3521 karma

@jack.igoe Thanks and congrats on getting an interview! I did my interview on December 18th, got the call yesterday January 17th.

@"Alex Divine" I love Cornell mainly because of it's educational philosophy - "lawyers in the best sense." No! I've never been to Ithaca. I may visit sometime this semester though!

@ppcoelho1 So approximately a month, but keep in mind I interviewed December 18th (heard back January 17th). The Cornell Admissions Office was closed for Christmas and New Years the following two weeks. So I'd say without the interruption of the holidays I would have heard back within ~2 weeks of the interview.