Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Recycling PTs

penglsatpenglsat Free Trial Member
edited January 2015 in February 2015 LSAT 7 karma
Hey, everyone. When you do the PTs for the second time (about 6 months after the first take), do you think a improvement in scores entails a genuine improvement or just that I remember the questions?

Comments

• Quick SilverQuick Silver Alum Inactive Sage
    1049 karma
    Hard to tell. I find myself remembering questions and I think the familiarity provide a leg up and a level of comfort. Sometimes I try to compensate by reducing time allowed in each section.
  • jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    depends... I wouldn't really even think of it too much. When taking it again act like you have never seen it before, approach each question the proper way and make sure you understand each question and AC, even if you firmly remember TCR. It is hard to say if how much improvement it shows bc of multiple variables. How familiar did it seem? How well did you review it when you first did it? Re-doing tests def help with improving if you are out of fresh material, but make sure you are approaching them the correct way
  • clarissa.hclarissa.h Alum Member
    50 karma
    I think it's fine to reuse the tests if you want to correct timing deficiencies, practice coping with testing anxiety real time, etc. Don't waste new tests if it's these skills that you are trying to work on.

And if these are weak spots, I would say spend some time addressing them before you keep going. You don't have to get perfect, but reusing tests is a good way to get more comfortable using what skills you know you do have rather than freaking out and finding your skills are unavailable b/c you're too stressed.
  • blah170blahblah170blah Alum Inactive ⭐
    3545 karma
    It depends on how remembering an old question affects your performance. Echoing what @jdawg113 said, trying to act like you haven't seen it before would better ensure that a score improvement you see is a genuine bump. However, if you come upon a question and realize, "Oh, I remember the answer to this question is A but I still don't know why," then getting that question right means you have a superb memory but not necessarily the logic down.

I personally have recycled PTs and it's been tremendously helpful in seeing how much better I've become at taking the LSAT. I noticed that I make deductions and zone in on key details faster, have become better at eliminating wrong answer choices, and approach familiar questions with a "oh hey, this looks vaguely familiar" attitude while moving on to implement the appropriate strategy I've learned and honed.
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    I feel that when you retake a PT and are familiar with the questions, it's easier to actually type out each question and try to explain why each AC is actually incorrect. I feel that this is actually more beneficial rather than already knowing the AC. It is time consuming but it's a way to better understand that question. Especially if you got that question wrong the first time around.
    3545 karma
    ^^ I completely agreed with the comment above me. Being able to articulate why the wrong answers are wrong and why the right answer is right is essential. Practicing this while reviewing will help improve accuracy and timing.
  • jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    And since its the last week (for Feb testers) I'll throw in that it doesn't hurt to have your last test as a retake for confidence and comfortability purposes (obviously not one you recently took but you know)
  • harrismeganharrismegan Member
    2074 karma
    It really depends. If you're going through each answer choice and eliminating wrong answer choices (and knowing exactly why you're eliminating each answer choice) and have a solid reason WHY you chose the right answer, then I think it can show an actual improvement. If you read the stimulus, pick the correct answer because you remember, and move on, then no.
    3545 karma
    @VegMeg55 I think you'll find this thread useful for your question!
  • VegMeg55VegMeg55 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    587 karma
    @blah170blah Thanks so much, I didn't see this thread when I posted my question.