Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Drawing Valid Conclusion Question

edited February 2018 in Logic Games 22 karma

Hey!

Can someone help me out with this (Question 1: Quiz on Drawing Valid Conclusions with Intersection Statements 3 w/Answers)

W → /R
W −m→ T
Y → /T
/W → Q

How come there is no relationship between /Q & /Y and between T & /Q? Whats the reasoning? I think it has something to do with the most statement but I would appreciate if someone took the time to explain it.

(Question 2: Quiz on Drawing Valid Conclusions with Intersection Statements 3 w/Answers)

/B → /D
F ←s→ D
/O → /F
I → F

I thought there would be a SOME relationship between D and I - I don't understand why there isn't.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read my post.

Comments

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    6050 karma

Hey, so for the first question the reason there is no inferred relationship between /Q and Y and similarly T and /Q is because the argument form looks like this:

/Q -> W -> /R
    -m-> T -> Y

The relationship between /Q and T and Y is invalid. You cannot draw any conclusions from it because it's argument form 4. The reason there is a relationship with W is because that's the starting point.

Most W's are T's and all T's are Y's.

W -m->T -> Y
    That's a valid argument. When you have the intersectional before the all it's a valid argument. The list form always helps me.
    TY
    TY
    WTY
    WTY
    W

We don't know anything about T except that there is an intersection with W. We know most W's are T's but we cannot definetly conclude how many T's there are in the world. All we know from the information we are given is that every T is accompanied by a Y. However, we can conclude that most W's are T and most W's are Y. When you add the /Q in front of the W, the relationship that "most /Q's are T" and "most /Q's are Y's" becomes a possibility.

It could be that
    (Scenario 1) (Scenario 2) (Scenario 3)
    WTY /QWTY /QW
    WTY /QWTY /QW
    WTY /QW /QW
    WTY WTY
    /QWTY WTY
    /QW WTY
    /QW WTY

Do you see here how in just these three scenario's we have a some relationship between /Q and T and Y (scenario 1); a most relationship with /Q and T and Y (scenario 2); and no relationship between /Q and T and Y? In order for a relationship to be valid it has to be true. Whereas in this it could be true, it's not the case that it must be true.

It's a similar issue with your second question. I -> F some D is not valid because the conditional relationship is there before the existential. Try going through your valid and invalid forms again. Hope this helped and let me know if you have anymore questions. These letters become confusing if you stare at the screen too long...