Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Am I crazy?? LSAT 150

rachel.barr.mnrachel.barr.mn Free Trial Member
in General 18 karma

I do not consider myself to be a genius, but I don’t think I’m dumb either. I started prepping for the LSAT back in September. Since then, I had a house fire (Dec 22, 2017) and lost everything. Along with that, I lost previous study time. I’ve been doing the best I can with the hand delt, but I have been scoring around 150-153 on the prep tests. I am walking in to test day expecting a 150. I feel like everyone’s posts I read all say they are getting 160-170 or above. Is anyone else scoring in the 150’s ? Should I feel ashamed for scoring there? Are you all freaky intelligent? I’ve always done well on tests and in school, but this test has me feeling like a big fat dummy! PS I am not trying to get accepted into a top school. I will likely go to a private school. P

Comments

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9377 karma

First of all, I'm so sorry about what happened to your house.

I believe you have only studied for a few months. Everyone has a different goal, and if a 150 is enough for your goal school, I think you have no reason to feel ashamed.

There are people who are naturally good at this test, but I am not one of those people. I've been studying for long time. I was stuck in low 150s for a while, but I am now in high 160s.

• rachel.barr.mnrachel.barr.mn Free Trial Member
    18 karma

Precious study time not previous. Dang phone!

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Absolutely no reason to be ashamed! A significant number of those 160-170+ scorers also started in the 140s. It just depends on where a lot of people are in their studying. I started out in the mid 150s and was stuck there for at least a couple months. So, pretty much right on par with you. I'm pretty consistently in the upper 160s now, but it took me about 9 months to do that.

I'm so sorry about the house fire. I can't imagine how difficult that is to get through, and all the things you have to deal with in the aftermath.

If there's anything we can do to help, just let us know! If you feel stuck or want some extra advice, we're here for ya.

PS - the LSAT is definitely not a test of intelligence! It is a weirdly specific skill set which some people seem to naturally excel in, but most folks have to study deeply to get a grasp on it.

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    2689 karma

My PT's have been in the 150's, and I am a genius. On paper, anyway (don't ask, I don't know how I managed that one, either). This test does not come naturally to some minds, and that's okay. Intelligence is not a straight forward thing at all. Don't feel dumb. This is just different, is all. A little hard to swallow at first when all tests up to this point have come easy. But this is a whole other creature.
    Think of it the same as if you might be a math whiz, but someone else is superior in English. You just ran into a really hard English test. Nothing more, nothing less. Just keep trudging along. People who are motivated to struggle and work for it are going to do so much better in school once they get there, anyway.

• sbc.mom_3xsbc.mom_3x Alum Member
    1501 karma

Low to mid 150s is my goal. It'll get me into schools in Ohio where I am close to home. Which for my goals, aspirations, etc., is just fine for me. I know what you mean though, but I'm right there with you. I personally know plenty of successful folks who went to the University of Dayton, from a 150. Everyone measures success differently. Big Law is fantastic, but it's not the only thing out there. If everyone went into Big Law, then who's left for places such as PD offices to fight for the indigent? We've all got different goals.

• rachel.barr.mnrachel.barr.mn Free Trial Member
    18 karma

Thank you all for the supporting words. I wish each and every one of you the best of luck in your careers!

• demiiisodaaademiiisodaaa Alum Member
    131 karma

Just want to say that I'm with you in the 150s, and I've been studying full-time for 6 months.
    It's tough not seeing immediate results, but I believe that there will be a certain threshold that we need to reach for improvement. Until we reach that threshold, there might not be a significant result.
    Also... If you have the diligence and endurance to do well in school, I'm sure you can do well in the LSAT :) And with what you have been going through personally, I think it's amazing that you are even continuing to study without giving up! Good luck with the upcoming test!!

• MsMazamaMsMazama Alum Member
    154 karma

We're not all hoping for big law and top schools, which is great for everybody - less competition. Be proud of your accomplishments. If 150 works for you and will be sufficient to achieve your goals, you're going to be just fine. Best of luck!

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    2531 karma

First of all, "goal scores" are entirely subjective. That being said, I think we should all shoot for a 180. Anyone who has finished an undergraduate degree at a credible University can perfect this test - it's just a matter of time and dedication. To give ourselves a decent shot at this goal, I think we should try to establish a study schedule and time frame, not just a specific score. Study for as many months as you can reasonably manage, and be dedicated to your plan. If you don't score as high as you wanted, you'll at least know that you gave this test as much as you could. Who knows? You might surprise yourself.

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

Do you mean genius in an IQ sense? LSATs is a beast that humbles everyone and also dont forget that people who post about their scores and share strategies tend to be self selected group of motivated, conscientious test takers. I'm sure the silent majority don't receive 170+, some even with concertef effort. In the end of the day, you will need evaluate yourself and not compare yourself others. Do you believe you tried your best?

• pioneer321pioneer321 Free Trial Member
    328 karma

Absolutely no reason to feel ashamed or discouraged.

In the last three years of college where I actually cared about school and tried, I was able to maintain a steady 3.95+ GPA in a double major stem degree (sorry if this qualifies as a humblebrag).I thought I was going to just crush this thing after a couple months. Yeah, no... Seeing those 140s in the beginning was absolutely dishartening. LSAT prep ended up being closer to a year, and even forced me into a retake. I think that similar time scales are the common denominator for the majority of the 170 group. There is a saying among bodybuilders when they are asked about their results: "Blood, Sweat, and Years." It resonates with me in terms of LSAT.

At the end of the day, you're really only fighting against yourself. You roughly know your target schools, and, by extension, the goal LSAT score. The rest is up to you.

Good luck on your studies!

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

My first pt was a 146. I averaged 162 before test day and scored a 159. I skipped a cycle to retake and am now average 167. It's taken more than a year to get to this point but tbh, i should really only count the last 12 months since I wasn't with 7sage before that. Prior to that, i wasn't even addressing the underlying structure of this test let along mastering it. I really believe that a 160+ is very achievable for the vast majority of testers. The key is in the approach and allowing enough time for forming habits and instincts.