Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Brunch Suggestions?

JerryClarke242JerryClarke242 Alum Member
in General 602 karma

Hi everyone,

So this Monday will be my first time taking a PT at 12:30, and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions about what I should eat so that I don't get hungry. I'm imagining it will have to something heavy. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• cstrobelcstrobel Alum Member
    228 karma

@JerryClarke242 said:
    Hi everyone,

So this Monday will be my first time taking a PT at 12:30, and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions about what I should eat so that I don't get hungry. I'm imagining it will have to something heavy. Thanks in advance.

Good luck! Try to get a balance of protein and simple carbs. I liked a bunch of eggs with some fruit and toast. The sugar kicked in and got me going right away, and the protein kept me feeling good. I've heard I lot of people go with oatmeal too.
    You're going to do great!

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma

@cstrobel said:
    Good luck! Try to get a balance of protein and simple carbs. I liked a bunch of eggs with some fruit and toast. The sugar kicked in and got me going right away, and the protein kept me feeling good. I've heard I lot of people go with oatmeal too.

I think this sounds excellent! And don’t forget that you’ve got the 15 minute break where you can grab a bite as well. I would normally have a peanut butter sandwich, a banana, and some matcha.

• JerryClarke242JerryClarke242 Alum Member
    602 karma

@"Cant Get Right" said:

@cstrobel said:

I think this sounds excellent! And don’t forget that you’ve got the 15 minute break where you can grab a bite as well. I would normally have a peanut butter sandwich, a banana, and some matcha.

For brunch, for the break, or for both?

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma

That was just for my break. My breakfast looked a lot like what @cstrobel suggested.

• Habeas PorpoiseHabeas Porpoise Alum Member Sage
    edited February 2018 1866 karma

I definitely second what @cstrobel said -- protein (eggs, nuts) to keep you full with a mix of complex carbs (whole grains, veggies) that will digest slowly and simple carbs (fruit, esp. bananas) for quick energy.

That said, I wouldn't recommend eating too much/heavy because you might feel sluggish going into your test. "Satisfied" rather than "full" so that you can focus without feeling hungry in the middle or tired because your body is busy digesting food.

I usually have protein + complex carbs + tea/coffee before my test, and have fruit + tea/hot water (which wakes me up) for my snack during my test.

Good luck with your PT! :smile:

• cstrobelcstrobel Alum Member
    228 karma

Totally agree with @"Habeas Porpoise" . I tried to combine to combine breakfast and lunch once, and felt like I was going to have a Thanksgiving post-meal nap during section 3.
    @"Cant Get Right" is sooo right about the break. On test day, you only have to go 2.5-3 hours without eating before the break (three sections, waiting in the lobby, etc.).
    Are you a caffeine junkie? I am, so I needed a little extra food so the caffeine metabolized slower.

• sakox010sakox010 Member
    333 karma

I think this mostly comes down to each person and what works best for them. I've been taking practice tests for a while now and generally don't eat or eat very little before taking a test and that seems to work best for me, whether I'm taking a PT at 8am or 1pm.

edited February 2018 1866 karma

@sakox010 said:
    I think this mostly comes down to each person and what works best for them. I've been taking practice tests for a while now and generally don't eat or eat very little before taking a test and that seems to work best for me, whether I'm taking a PT at 8am or 1pm.

For sure! I think it's because @JerryClarke242 was asking what to eat to prevent being hungry that we assumed he wanted to eat something.
    I used to only have tea before starting a PT in the morning and it worked perfectly well. Now I like to have a light lunch before I take my test around 1pm.

• paulmv.benthempaulmv.benthem Alum Member
    1032 karma

I've grown mighty fond of granola, blueberries, strawberries, and bananas about 3 hours before taking a PT. I don't find I get hungry, and I'm pretty sure the blueberries help cognitively. :)

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Kind of thinking about a "logger" breakfast like a stack of pancakes, eggs, fruit, and maybe additional protein. Subject to experimentation, though. :)

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

One thing to keep in mind is what you would be able to make and eat before the actual LSAT. These have all been great suggestion, just adding that element - you might not want to get too elaborate, so you can make sure to be able to replicate that on test day.

I like to make sure it’s protein heavy, that will keep you feeling full longer. I did 2-3 eggs, a toaster waffle with peanut butter on it, and a banana. For my snack, I had a Larabar (packed 2 bars for actual test day, just to be safe).

• JerryClarke242JerryClarke242 Alum Member
    602 karma

@"Leah M B" said:
    One thing to keep in mind is what you would be able to make and eat before the actual LSAT. These have all been great suggestion, just adding that element - you might not want to get too elaborate, so you can make sure to be able to replicate that on test day.

I like to make sure it’s protein heavy, that will keep you feeling full longer. I did 2-3 eggs, a toaster waffle with peanut butter on it, and a banana. For my snack, I had a Larabar (packed 2 bars for actual test day, just to be safe).

Yeah, I will definitely keep that in mind. Thanks for the great advice.

@lsatplaylist said:
    Kind of thinking about a "logger" breakfast like a stack of pancakes, eggs, fruit, and maybe additional protein. Subject to experimentation, though. :)

Pancakes and eggs sounds good to me! :smiley:

@"Habeas Porpoise" said:

@sakox010 said:

For sure! I think it's because @JerryClarke242 was asking what to eat to prevent being hungry that we assumed he wanted to eat something.
    I used to only have tea before starting a PT in the morning and it worked perfectly well. Now I like to have a light lunch before I take my test around 1pm.

Well it was a pretty accurate assumption, haha. Back when I was PT'ing around 8:30, I had a problem being able to focus during the whole thing, but fortunately figured out that tea was the solution to that problem the morning of the December test and was able to function at my best. The only question now is will tea have the same affect on me even though I will eat breakfast later than I'm used to.

@cstrobel Thanks for the advice! I prefer tea because I'm not a coffee person.

1866 karma

@JerryClarke242 said:
    Well it was a pretty accurate assumption, haha. Back when I was PT'ing around 8:30, I had a problem being able to focus during the whole thing, but fortunately figured out that tea was the solution to that problem the morning of the December test and was able to function at my best. The only question now is will tea have the same affect on me even though I will eat breakfast later than I'm used to.

In that case I would try it both ways and see what works better!
    I've never really been a breakfast person, but for the longest time I ended up eating my first meal around 3 or 4:00pm and it worked fine. I've actually taken a couple PT's at 1pm after having had nothing but some tea and half an apple and it wasn't an issue. But I've been running a lot more/longer distances recently, so I've found that I get hungry during my PT if I don't eat something a little more substantial for lunch. Still prefer not having breakfast though.
    I'm assuming you're prepping for the June exam, so you have some time to try out different things. :smile: