Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What should I ask a lawyer?

PearsonSpecterLittUpPearsonSpecterLittUp Alum Member
edited July 2018 in General 588 karma

Have a meeting tomorrow with an established lawyer who practices in both the US and Canada.

What questions should I ask him?? :)

Comments

• doyouevenLSATdoyouevenLSAT Core Member
    edited February 2018 609 karma

ask aboot whether there are much differences in the systems of law between the two or if he needed any specific requirements to practice in Canada. Does he have a dual-JD?

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

Ask him law school prepared him amply for legal practice. Ask him about his job satisfaction. Ask him the best parts of his job and the worst. And if he could redo the law admissions and law school process what would he do differently.

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Maybe ask him his favorite things about his current job and some previous jobs.

3788 karma

Also ask him how much he makes if its not too personal :)

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

How much free time he has. What his social life is like. How many vacations he takes a year. What school he went to. How long it took him to pay off his debt/if he's still paying it off. How he is treated at his firm i.e. does he have a say in the type of and number of cases he takes.
    I 2nd asking what he would've done differently in applying to schools.

• Habeas PorpoiseHabeas Porpoise Alum Member Sage
    edited February 2018 1866 karma

I would probably ask about expectations versus reality. What aspects of his work, both in his particular field and in the legal profession in general, had he not known about going in. Any disillusions? Anything that turned out better than he'd expected?

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    2689 karma

Questions I have compiled so far include:
    Why law/why your area of law?
    What areas of law do you see changing/ growing?
    How many hours a week do you work on average?
    What makes you unhappy about your job? What makes you happy?

And the big one: if you had to do it all over again, would you? What would you have done differently?

3788 karma

Did you talk to the lawyer yet? @adillpickle

• PearsonSpecterLittUpPearsonSpecterLittUp Alum Member
    588 karma

HIIII!
    Thank you all for your questions, they're awesome :)
    I asked him a lot about Canada vs. US because I am Canadian and debating if to go to the US for law school or certain Canadian schools!
    He was very nice and helpful! He went to a Canadian school but wrote the NY bar exam so practices in both.