Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should i sit out another year or go to law school ?

I took a course in December (Success Prep) it was horrible and a waste of money. I then got a tutor and it didn't really help me much. I walked in the test Feb 2018 and freaked out, I completed the test but I guessed pretty much the whole test. (Mind you I took practice test before so I have no idea why I panicked it wasn't like it was my first time seeing the test in a timed setting) so here's where I need advice! I don't know if I should take off another year of school. I feel like if I take my test in June there is a slim chance the schools will have any seats open for Fall 2018, plus I won't get any scholarship money and if I get accepted to a school in another state that gives me no time to pack up and leave especially if the school doesn't tell me I got accepted into late July. so do you guys think its best to sit out another year and then apply for Fall 2019? or just take the June and hope for the best for Fall 2018?

FALL 2019 OR FALL 2018
  1. Fall 2019 or Fall 2018 ?27 votes
    1. yes go to school fall 2019
      92.59%
    2. go to school fall 2018
        7.41%

Comments

• Eric25Eric25 Member
    720 karma

I would postpone to 2019 if you can, It will give you time to re-take the LSAT if necessary to increase your chances at admission/scholarship to the school you really want to go to, vs. taking whatever you might get this summer. If you can wait, I would wait! Waiting a year in the long run is completely worth it if it reduces your debt, gets you into a better school and/or reduces the stress of this whole process.

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

Postpone until 2019. Save up within that year, gain more work experience and have more time to retake.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    edited February 2018 3652 karma

It’s pretty rare for people to get in the following fall with the June test unless they have a really high gpa and LSAT score in the mid-high 170s. If you guessed the whole test I would suggest cancelling your score.

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

@"surfy surf" said:
    It’s pretty rare for people to get in the following fall with the June test unless they have a really high gpa and LSAT score in the mid-high 170s. If you guessed the whole test I would suggest cancelling your score.

Yes Spivey said he had one client who gained acceptance to Harvard after applying with June exam to enter school within that same here. There is no gurantee that you will get that score within that time unless you were at least averaging 170s in your PT

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

I don't think that you do need advice on this yet.

We are sure that your February test score isn't going to be acceptable. If for some reason it turns out to be what you want you should apply. If that isn't possible you should cancel.

Now what you need to do is study for the June test. If you are PTing where you want to be heading into the June test then you take it. If not, you postpone to September(or whatever date you think you can be ready by). If you take it, it will either go well or less well than you expected. If it goes less well than you expected, study for a retake.

There will only be a decision where you need advice if you study until June are PTing in your desired score range, and do well on the actual test. If that happens you will need advice, but probably from an admissions consultant. Your choice will be either apply for 2018 and forego basically any chance of scholarships if you get in or wait a cycle like all the other June takers. I can think of a few circumstances where it might make sense to apply for Fall 2018, but an admission's consultant might be familiar with more. The first is that your parents are wealthy and are paying for law school and you don't care much about their money. The second is that you are covered by some variant of the GI bill for the full cost of your legal education. The third is that you are planning to attend Harvard, Yale, or Stanford none of which give merit scholarships(but all of which have good LRAPs(Loan Repayment Assistance Programs)).

If everything breaks right for you, if you are scoring in your desired PT range by June, if you feel like you actually got a score at the top of your desired range, and if one of the above circumstsnces applies to you, then ask this question again in June first to us and then to a place like SpiveyConsulting (The word out there is that they are the best. I wouldn't know. I didn't have a couple thousand dollars to burn to find out.).

Until then, I think you would be best served to focus your energy and questions on improving on the LSAT since that determines whether the answer to the question matters.

Edit: Sorry if that was a little bit confrontational. TopLawSchools(a law school advice forum known for their hostility/tough love advice) is dying(corporate takeover) and I think it possessed me for a second.

• aliciashantelharryaliciashantelharry Alum Member
    6 karma

Thank you so much!