Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fool Proofing

stormstorm Member
in Logic Games 261 karma

Hey!

This is a quick question, but I'm curious to hear how other's have approached this. I have some LGs where I get within 30 seconds of the "recommended time" with -0. My gut is to lower the number of times I redo this question to 3 or 5 (depending on how confident I felt) rather than 10 times, to help me ease up some time in my studying for games that give me more trouble (any game that takes me more +~1 minute or that I get -1+ on, I note to do 10X.

Thoughts on if this makes sense? How have you handled such questions?

Comments

• doyouevenLSATdoyouevenLSAT Core Member
    610 karma

try to do them until you hit the time and -0, then do it again later (a week, 2 weeks). Save the ones you know you know gave you trouble and always kind of return to them, after a while.

• Habeas PorpoiseHabeas Porpoise Alum Member Sage
    edited February 2018 1866 karma

Hey there!

I believe I foolproof a bit differently, but I hope this can still help answer your question!

The number of times I do a game depends on how long it's been since I've done it last and my accuracy + time when taking it again.

The first time after finishing a new game, I BR, check answers, then watch JY's video. If I miss an assumption, don't do my board well, took more than a minute over time, or miss more than one question, I'll schedule to retake again within the week. If I'm just a little over-time, or miss a question but did okay overall, I'll schedule it out 2+ weeks to a month. If I did it under time and went - 0, and my board/assumptions are all good, I might decide the game was easy enough and that I don't need to FP it.

When I redo a game and get it within 30 seconds and -0, I'll usually schedule to retake the game a month out (again, if necessary). I do this when I go -1 as well, after evaluating whether the error came from a missed assumption, not reading the AC properly, etc. If it's a missed assumption, I'll do the game again within a week. If it's not reading properly, etc, I schedule the game out for 2 weeks+ to a month.

If I get a game right again after a month without seeing it, I'll decide whether I want to consider it "mastered" or whether I want to reschedule it for 2-3 months out. I almost always reschedule 4/5-star games or tricky games 2-3 months out, even when I go -0 and under time, since I like to give myself two perfect "takes" before I consider them mastered.
    I'll also reschedule again if I did it accurately under time but missed out on assumptions, could have used a more efficient board, and/or gone through ACs with a different strategy.

Some games only take 2-3 takes, others take 6-7+ takes. Overall, this method has worked well for me.

• LastLSATLastLSAT Alum Member
    edited April 2018 1028 karma

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

If you're getting within 30 seconds, then I consider that foolproofed and move on. The target times are not an exact science. That said, check out the Pacifico method that @BagelBiter linked to. It sounds like you could benefit from that.

• hawaiihihawaiihi Free Trial Member
    973 karma

I agree with commentators above. Honestly, the way I work is that I set the number of times for each game at 4. If, for example, I nail it the first time––all questions right and under time, that will be the only time I do the game. If I don't nail it the first time, I'll aim to do it four times––with the video, the next day, the next-next day, and in a week.

If the game is actually fairly easy, and I erred due to misreading the question, was within 30 seconds of the time, etc, then I may do less than four.

And if I haven't nailed it in a week, I'll add a fifth time, if needed, and add more if needed after that.

• AllezAllez21AllezAllez21 Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    1917 karma

Good advice above.

I set the target to do each game 4 times. My goal was to get the game well below the target time, like maybe 20% or more faster than the target. If I couldn't achieve that in 4 attempts, I kept attempting it.