Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Responding to email acceptances/scholarship offers

saturnsunsaturnsun Free Trial Member

Hi there!

Quick question - are we supposed to respond to acceptances and scholarship offers received via email?

Thanks!

Comments

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Yes, I would. Maybe tell them you appreciated the email, you're excited that they want you to go there, and you're thinking about their offer(s) and ask questions if you have them.

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    edited February 2018 5320 karma

Probably what lsatplaylist said. But first do this

https://media.giphy.com/media/3o7abldj0b3rxrZUxW/giphy.gif

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Bumping this to double check - is it appropriate and/or expected to reply to acceptances?

(... and I just got my first, to WUSTL, woooo!)

5254 karma

@Leah M B, I think it's probably a good idea to reply given the way this cycle's going with more applicants than available spots.

• BillGreenpointBillGreenpoint Alum Member
    318 karma

Good point, lsatplaylist. I'm just going to fire off a few quick, yet thoughtful, responses. Can't hurt, right?

5254 karma

Yes, @BillGreenpoint, I think that's the case.

• calcal101calcal101 Alum Member
    582 karma

Wanted to bump this and see if others can share their views…have people actually been responding to everyone?

I can't imagine University of Michigan (and others that get billions--well not really--apps) wants yet another email from an applicant (even an admitted one). Am I really being rude by not responding?

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    edited February 2018 4423 karma

@calcal101 said:
    Wanted to bump this and see if others can share their views…have people actually been responding to everyone?

I can't imagine University of Michigan (and others that get billions--well not really--apps) wants yet another email from an applicant (even an admitted one). Am I really being rude by not responding?

I don't think it is really a matter of politeness or rudeness. A quick thank you tells them that you are actively considering them as an option, but have not decided on them yet.

It's part of the scholarship negotiation without being the overt request which they only really let you make once or twice at most.

A place like Michigan gives over a thousand acceptances and is trying to fill a class size of around 300. That is the main job of their admissions staff. They will read your email and probably mark down that you sent it. If you told me my job was to fill a class of 300 people and to do it I had to send a little over a thousand acceptances most of which will ultimately be rejected I would read the thank yous. That said I wouldn't notice that someone didn't send one and put them on a list of naughty admits(probably).

For goodness sake they attached a welcome video. Give them a note!

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

@"Seeking Perfection" @calcal101

This makes sense and I think is a good point. It's almost sort of like a Why X/LOCI... expressing particular interest. I was thinking the same thing, most admissions offices seem to not want you to e-mail them unless you had something important to say or a question, so you're not filling up the inbox with unnecessary emails. But that makes sense that it would convey a little extra dash of interest in the school.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

@"Leah M B" said:
    @"Seeking Perfection" @calcal101

This makes sense and I think is a good point. It's almost sort of like a Why X/LOCI... expressing particular interest. I was thinking the same thing, most admissions offices seem to not want you to e-mail them unless you had something important to say or a question, so you're not filling up the inbox with unnecessary emails. But that makes sense that it would convey a little extra dash of interest in the school.

Yeah, I think so. And the best part is that it is a dash of interest with no actual ask and no psychological cost of maybe being told no and no research effort. They can't blame you for sharing your excitement to be admitted!

• TabbyG123TabbyG123 Member
    711 karma

@"Leah M B" I think you totally nailed it with the importance of this. Even if it's a school that you may not go to, you want to demonstrate interest in the school by responding to the email just in case shit hits the fan and you need to return to that school. Couldn't hurt. :) But also, most students won't respond (and won't even fill out the rejection of offer form anyway), so they're prepared for either.

Here's a template that I use:
    Dear [name of assistant dean or whoever sent the email],

I wanted to say I'm incredibly honored and excited to have been offered acceptance at UC Davis Law!

I will very much be keeping in touch.

I will give a formal answer once I have been able to gather more information think over my decision fully.

I'm humbled and filled with gratitude,

[Name]
    [LSAC #]

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    edited February 2018 4196 karma

People do that??? Don't think I've ever heard of anyone sending a 'thank you' type of email for an acceptance/scholarship email... I've heard of people doing it after an interview, though.

• spitzy11spitzy11 Alum Member
    772 karma

I’m pretty sure it’s the type of thing where if you feel compelled to, then go ahead and do it. If you don’t though, no worries. I don’t think they’re expecting anything.

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    2689 karma

Weigh the consequences: if you send a thank you note, what's the worst that can happen? My guess is, someone scans it and moves on and doesn't care. What's the best thing that can happen? You stand out and someone takes note of a thank you, something no one else does.
    Under those possibilities, and everything in between those extremes being a possibility, I'd lean on the side of Thank you. Certainly wouldn't hurt anything.