Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Respond to scholarship offers?

cahunt5221cahunt5221 Alum Member
in General 47 karma
Plain and simple, should I write thank you emails upon receiving scholarship offers from schools? Would it be bad form if I did not? Any insight is appreciated.

Comments

• LSATislandLSATisland Free Trial Inactive Sage
    1878 karma
    Are you referring to offers you will accept or reject?
  • cahunt5221cahunt5221 Alum Member
    47 karma
    Fair question, remains to be seen so I guess I could use advice on both scenarios.
  • LSATislandLSATisland Free Trial Inactive Sage
    1878 karma
    Well, if you will be responding with an acceptance or a rejection, then it seems like a thank you in the response would be appropriate.

But if you are asking whether you should send an independent thank you note, I don't think it is necessary, as it can be included in the acceptance/rejection.
  • allison.gill.sanfordallison.gill.sanford Alum Inactive Sage
    1128 karma
    I don't think it is less than gracious to receive those offers and sit on them without communicating until it becomes necessary.
    If you are very enthused about the school, by all means you can reach out to them. But the admissions process - and many of these scholarships - are essentially a business transaction. They probably told you how long the offer is on the table - so you have plenty of time to get in touch with them if you are interested in accepting.
  • cahunt5221cahunt5221 Alum Member
    47 karma
    Understood thanks! my main concern was in appearing ungrateful.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    I wouldn't write anything until you're ready to negotiate, accept or withdraw. I never responded to a school after acceptance and scholarship offer and then they randomly gave me an unsolicited increase from $15k/yr to $25k/yr.