Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In need of motivation

Kaylee HKaylee H Alum Member
edited March 2018 in General 66 karma

I am three years out of college and have been working full time. I studied for the LSAT for about six months before taking it in December on top of my 40 hour work week. I hadn’t done as many practice tests as I would’ve liked, but I’ve always been aiming to get into the 170+ range. I was PTing around 165 with a few 168s and scored a 162 :(.

I had only used the Powerscore Bibles, so I feel like with more practice and purchasing the actual 7sage course I could probably break 170s... my issue is motivation. It was just so draining studying on top of my work week and having to sacrifice self-care and fun to make time to study. It was also so disappointing and discouraging getting that score. I dread doing another six months of that and have had so much trouble motivating myself to do it and fear getting the same results.

I guess I just need some advice, help please!

Comments

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8689 karma

Let me ask you, would you dread doing another X amount of months of test prep if you knew that a great score and admission into several really good schools was at the end of that road?

A 162 says to me that you certainly have the ability to get into the 170 range. The process of identifying and eliminate your weak areas will be tough, but doable: this process becomes tougher the smaller and smaller our weak areas are. I think dread is intensified if we start to worry about putting X amount of months into something and not seeing a payoff. Studying smart with a clear plan will go far to limiting the chances of that. And I think 7Sage affords us the opportunity to study smart.

-David

• Kaylee HKaylee H Alum Member
    66 karma

Thanks David.
    Yeah I completely get what you are saying. On the one hand, yes logically I know that at the end of the road, the payoff would be great if I could get into a really good school. On the other hand, having to actually go through the process is so emotionally draining on top of a full time job that i worry about the toll on my mental health. That’s what makes it so difficult to start the journey despite knowing the payoff. Even telling myself what the reward would be hasn’t been enough to get me going again :(

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

I want to encourage you to consider signing up for the free-trial on here. It has no risks and will help you see what you can access as a member. There's also a generous refund policy for new members if you sign up for a course. This is a very supportive community and a great resource.

• hawaiihihawaiihi Free Trial Member
    973 karma

I imagine that if you're getting around 162, you're not getting -1/0 in Logic Games. Seriously, I was scoring a 165 before I came to 7sage, getting around -8 on Logic Games, and 7sage literally worked their Logic Games magic. Just that bump in Logic Games alone made a huge, huge difference. I couldn't recommend 7sage more highly!

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    2689 karma

How are you seeing the end payoff? Ar you seeing it as "Yay... I got into law school, and it's another 3 years of this stuff", or are you seeing it as "OMG, I just won 100k-200k worth of scholarship to make my dreams come true!!". A difference in perspective can be helpful. :smile:

66 karma

@hawaiihi said:
    I imagine that if you're getting around 162, you're not getting -1/0 in Logic Games. Seriously, I was scoring a 165 before I came to 7sage, getting around -8 on Logic Games, and 7sage literally worked their Logic Games magic. Just that bump in Logic Games alone made a huge, huge difference. I couldn't recommend 7sage more highly!

No, that’s spot on. I’m terrible at logic games. I was watching the YouTube videos from 7sage and made some progress but I would still miss a minimum of one full game and up to like -12. Will the course help even more than just the video explanations? That’s probably what I’m worried about most. I can go -1, -2 in logical reasoning and get to logic games and miss half the questions. I don’t know why I have so much trouble.

66 karma

Also, could anyone offer insight as far as which version would be best for me to purchase?

• hawaiihihawaiihi Free Trial Member
    973 karma

@"Kaylee H" said:

@hawaiihi said:

No, that’s spot on. I’m terrible at logic games. I was watching the YouTube videos from 7sage and made some progress but I would still miss a minimum of one full game and up to like -12. Will the course help even more than just the video explanations? That’s probably what I’m worried about most. I can go -1, -2 in logical reasoning and get to logic games and miss half the questions. I don’t know why I have so much trouble.

I think the course really could help. The videos alone kind of assume you know all this basic logic stuff that gets covered in the lessons, and there might be tidbits that you don't even realize that you didn't know. It might be worth it to do the trial and see what you think of how the course is structured!

• Adam HawksAdam Hawks Alum Member
    990 karma

@BinghamtonDave said:
    Let me ask you, would you dread doing another X amount of months of test prep if you knew that a great score and admission into several really good schools was at the end of that road?

A 162 says to me that you certainly have the ability to get into the 170 range. The process of identifying and eliminate your weak areas will be tough, but doable: this process becomes tougher the smaller and smaller our weak areas are. I think dread is intensified if we start to worry about putting X amount of months into something and not seeing a payoff. Studying smart with a clear plan will go far to limiting the chances of that. And I think 7Sage affords us the opportunity to study smart.

-David

https://media.giphy.com/media/xTiIzqPM4tCxJJIjQc/giphy.gif

To throw in my two cents, I know that you're working 40 hours a week and to have any energy after to study, let alone get a 162, is amazing. It just sounds like that you need to tighten up some fundamental or on a extreme level, change your fundamental approach. I don't know your personal situation, however, I do suggest getting a meditation app on your phone and doing it twice a day if possible.

Dave is a Jedi Master, so trust the process.

66 karma

@"Adam Hawks" said:

@BinghamtonDave said:

-David

https://media.giphy.com/media/xTiIzqPM4tCxJJIjQc/giphy.gif

To throw in my two cents, I know that you're working 40 hours a week and to have any energy after to study, let alone get a 162, is amazing. It just sounds like that you need to tighten up some fundamental or on a extreme level, change your fundamental approach. I don't know your personal situation, however, I do suggest getting a meditation app on your phone and doing it twice a day if possible.

Dave is a Jedi Master, so trust the process.

Thank you for the suggestion. I do have a couple meditation apps after they were suggested by multiple people, so I guess I should actually start consistently using them!

I found the 162 to be so discouraging and almost like a sign that my goals were not attainable. Maybe I’ll just look at this time off as time to reset and allow me to approach from a new angle.... and I just need to suck it up and try instead of worrying about failure.

Thanks for all your tips, guys!

• Adam HawksAdam Hawks Alum Member
    990 karma

@"Kaylee H" said:

and I just need to suck it up and try instead of worrying about failure.

So what if you fail? It isn't the end of the world. It is just one test. The first of many more to come. Sign up for 7Sage or don't, but consider this place a for you to be inquisitive.

• Eric25Eric25 Member
    edited March 2018 720 karma

@"Kaylee H".... and I just need to suck it up and try instead of worrying about failure.

Don't fear failure. Be afraid of not having the chance- Cars 3
    Pixar always has great advice :)

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

@Kaylee H, Starter is the least expensive and gives you a window into the upgrade options and a nice library of webinars where students discuss things like how they went from being beginners to Sages. The Ultimate options basically give you everything. If you start with one course and then upgrade, you get everything from the smaller courses. The terms rely on students printing the PTs and drilling materials so you'll probably either want to buy a printer and plan on giving it quite a workout and/or go to copy stores to print things, but it probably won't be done all at once.