Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PS Philosophy or Hit the softball or not

LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member

Hey all, I'm beginning to brain storm my personal statement topics. I am having an internal debate. I am 45 years old and spent 25 years in the military (active duty Marine infantryman). My resume that will accompany my apps obviously will reflect a huge amount of military jobs / assignments. I am questioning whether or not to write a PS that focuses on a military scene / setting or to branch out into some other aspect of my life. If I go with "other", the topic would likely be related to my running / triathlon hobby (How you tell the Ironman / marathoner at a party? Don't worry, he'll tell you) or something related to recent volunteer service (youth coaching). With any of the above options, I feel I can make it personal / unique and demonstrate something about me and my personality.

Option A - Military (the softball / most expected option): Go with what you know. Obviously, I identify with the military and even in retirement, feel it is a large part of who I am. The most likely PS from this would be my first command experience outside my career field in which I grew by learning to work with those of varied occupational backgrounds and experiences.

Option B - Athletic or Coaching option: Personal growth through perseverance and commitment to a goal, plus learning some sacrifices aren't worth it (loss of family time vs time / physical training required for certain athletic goals) or lessons from a youth girls basketball / track coach.

I am leaning heavily towards option A, but do I run the risk of painting myself as "the military guy"? Is that even a bad thing to be worried about? I don't have a "Moses came down from the mountain and said you shall be a lawyer" story, so none of my options will really focus on the legal profession.

PS statement
  1. Which option should I focus on5 votes
    1. Military experience - play the all-star that got you to the dance
      60.00%
    2. Athletic / Coaching experience - don't single subject brand yourself
      40.00%

Comments

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    edited March 2018 3652 karma

Write both and see which one you prefer. The military topic could be a diversity statement if you choose to write your PS on the other one. Judging based on the topic is useless. They’re fine topics, see what writes better.

• wnivabyfdljwnivabyfdlj Alum Member
    52 karma

Which can be the better story? I've read that the best personal statements are well-written, fun to read, and say something about you that admissions staff may not know or easily could have overlooked from the rest of your application. I think you could keep both ideas on the table and try to fill in some details to each storyline before you make your decision.

As someone who has spent a few obsessive years in the Ironman triathlon world, I both love and hate talking about it. (Your joke was amazing, btw.) Triathlon is a great sport... you make incredible connections while training with others for such a huge undertaking, and you learn so much from both success and failure on race day and every step along the way. Training for an Ironman means you must be a dedicated, hard-working, goal-oriented person... and putting in the time and accomplishing a goal is addicting and wonderful. Sharing that with youth as a coach... all good stuff. Buuuuuut, 25 years of active duty military experience? I can't imagine there aren't some captivating life lessons in there.

Happy to read rough drafts if you need help deciding. Good luck!