Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How disadvantaged would I be if I did the Jan 26 LSAT?

Redentore3337Redentore3337 Alum Member
in General 350 karma

Hello 7sagers!

So I had planned to do the November LSAT, but now I am thinking of doing the January one. I have been studying since December. So doing the November test would actually put me right there at the advised one year mark but something tells me I might need that extra bit of time. So now I'm just wondering in terms of getting admitted, how disadvantaged I'd be to do the Jan LSAT? I'm really shooting for a 170, so if I did get that, am I right to assume I wouldnt be that disadvantaged even though I'd be applying pretty late in the cycle?

Thanks guys,
L

Comments

• FixedDiceFixedDice Member
    edited March 2018 1804 karma

If you take the January LSAT, your score will probably come out sometime in early February, late January at the earliest. At that point, you would be applying almost at the end of the cycle, trying to secure a seat after about five months' worth of applications had their chances.

• PearsonSpecterLittUpPearsonSpecterLittUp Alum Member
    588 karma

It depends on several factors, such as your GPA in comparison to the median/ 75th percentile of the school(s) you're applying to, same with your LSAT, the amount of applicants next year, etc.

Either way, it is advised you apply earlier in the cycle. Applying in January will not make an acceptance impossible if your stats are competitive for the schools you're applying to, but generally speaking the earlier in the cycle you apply, the better your odds.

• Redentore3337Redentore3337 Alum Member
    350 karma

@FixedDice said:
    If you take the January LSAT, your score will probably come out sometime in early February, late January at the earliest. At that point, you would be applying almost at the end of the cycle, trying to secure a seat after about five months' worth of applications had their chances.

Yikes. So I'm already pushing my luck with the November LSAT then...

350 karma

@PearsonSpecterLittUp said:
    It depends on several factors, such as your GPA in comparison to the median/ 75th percentile of the school(s) you're applying to, same with your LSAT, the amount of applicants next year, etc.

Either way, it is advised you apply earlier in the cycle. Applying in January will not make an acceptance impossible if your stats are competitive for the schools you're applying to, but generally speaking the earlier in the cycle you apply, the better your odds.

Dang. Ok, I'll guess I'll just have to study more efficiently instead.

• LastLSATLastLSAT Alum Member
    edited April 2018 1028 karma

350 karma

@LastLSAT said:
    Very. I got a 172 in Feb., and I have been rejected/not yet heard back from many schools where I am at median or above both 75ths.

If you don't think you'll be ready by December (at the latest), give yourself until June and plan on waiting to apply early the next cycle instead.

Jeeeeeez, I didn't know it was that bad. I'v heard stories of people getting into the Fall based off June LSAT's but I guess those are anomalies.

350 karma

Now I'm wondering how disadvantaged I'd be if I did the November LSAT?!

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

November LSAT should be ok. You can also submit applications before your LSAT score is posted - that's what many people do that take the December LSAT.

I took the December LSAT but didn't get apps in until end of January to mid-February and got at least 1 WL that I shouldn't have if I'd applied earlier, and still no response from 6 schools. It's honestly been very detrimental applying that late, not just because of acceptances but it has really crunched the timeline for getting responses when the deposit deadlines are in April. I was just accepted to one school on Monday and their separate scholarship application deadline is today (yikes!). So while some people had months to fill that out, I have days.

November should be ok but I would advise aiming for September. The best rule of thumb is that you should just take the LSAT when you are ready. Ready means that you are PTing at or preferably a few points above your goal score. So once you hit that mark, you should sit for the LSAT - whenever that time is.

350 karma

@"Leah M B" said:
    November LSAT should be ok. You can also submit applications before your LSAT score is posted - that's what many people do that take the December LSAT.

I took the December LSAT but didn't get apps in until end of January to mid-February and got at least 1 WL that I shouldn't have if I'd applied earlier, and still no response from 6 schools. It's honestly been very detrimental applying that late, not just because of acceptances but it has really crunched the timeline for getting responses when the deposit deadlines are in April. I was just accepted to one school on Monday and their separate scholarship application deadline is today (yikes!). So while some people had months to fill that out, I have days.

November should be ok but I would advise aiming for September. The best rule of thumb is that you should just take the LSAT when you are ready. Ready means that you are PTing at or preferably a few points above your goal score. So once you hit that mark, you should sit for the LSAT - whenever that time is.

That's very good advise, thanks Leah :)

• zanesbitzanesbit Alum Member
    102 karma

Don't do it. I took Feb and scores are out in March. Now I'm in a situation where deposits are due for my safety schools, but I don't have decisions from schools I applied to after the March retake. Schools are hosting admitted student events and I'm still waiting because I retook for a higher score. October should be the latest.

@Redentore3337 said:
    Hello 7sagers!

So I had planned to do the November LSAT, but now I am thinking of doing the January one. I have been studying since December. So doing the November test would actually put me right there at the advised one year mark but something tells me I might need that extra bit of time. So now I'm just wondering in terms of getting admitted, how disadvantaged I'd be to do the Jan LSAT? I'm really shooting for a 170, so if I did get that, am I right to assume I wouldnt be that disadvantaged even though I'd be applying pretty late in the cycle?

Thanks guys,
    L

350 karma

@zanesbit said:
    Don't do it. I took Feb and scores are out in March. Now I'm in a situation where deposits are due for my safety schools, but I don't have decisions from schools I applied to after the March retake. Schools are hosting admitted student events and I'm still waiting because I retook for a higher score. October should be the latest.

@Redentore3337 said:
    Hello 7sagers!

Thanks guys,
    L

Yea def not taking January now. I'm going to try really hard to shoot for September but I feel like November I'll be a lot more confident. Sorry to hear about that, good luck moving on though.

• zanesbitzanesbit Alum Member
    102 karma

You have a good strategy. Stay focused this summer, you can do it! Thanks for the luck, I have two admissions so far, just waiting on everything so I can make an informed decision. Good luck to you as well.

@Redentore3337 said:

@zanesbit said:

@Redentore3337 said:
    Hello 7sagers!

Thanks guys,
    L

Yea def not taking January now. I'm going to try really hard to shoot for September but I feel like November I'll be a lot more confident. Sorry to hear about that, good luck moving on though.