Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

June/July Test Takers

Hamaseh_SHamaseh_S Alum Member
edited March 2018 in General 436 karma

Curious to know what you all are doing to combat burnout!! Not looking for general advice about burnout, I just want to know what YOU are doing! You're my motivation :)

I am taking June so I have ~10 wks until the test and I feel like every second of studying counts but at the same time I am currently feeling heavy burnout. I am trying to take frequent breaks (a few hours or so) throughout the week to deal with it but today I feel like I need the whole weekend off. I just want to meditate and online shop haha

I'm assuming at least a few of you are in a similar position - whether it's feeling burned out, feeling guilty for taking breaks, or just generally feeling the weight of the coming test (lol I'm calling it dooms day).

What's your plans for the next 10 weeks to maximize learning/brain space and avoid burnout??

Comments

• Habeas PorpoiseHabeas Porpoise Alum Member Sage
    edited March 2018 1866 karma

Hey Hamaseh!

Totally get burnout. These weeks have been going fine for me though, since I took a solid break last month. My productivity was dropping at home though, so I started going to coffee shops/the library again.

I've also been taking more walks. The weather where I am (Pacific Northwest) is pretty mild right now, not too sunny and not the usual rainy, which is just how I like it. The air feels fresh and it's perfect to clear my head while studying. I've been listening to podcasts, audiobooks, music. I've also taken my headphones out to just appreciate the sounds of nature (and cars).

I also run a few days a week (my preferred form of exercise), but I usually have to change for a run so I'm reluctant to go do so when I'm studying. So now I usually run in the morning before I start or at the end of the day.

Lastly, I've been reading more. I love reading, and I sort of stopped while studying for the LSAT, since I struggle to put good books down once I've started. Plus, I prefer fiction (contemporary/mystery/suspense/fantasy), which isn't particularly helpful for this test. But I've been letting myself get in at least a half hour a day to just enjoy reading and it's helped with my mood.

Oh, and of course, meditation. I only spend about 5-10 minutes in the morning or the evening (which my mom's super happy about it, since she always urged me to spend at least a few minutes while I was growing up. I was a bratty kid that didn't listen, unfortunately, but at least I'm doing it now!), but it's helped with my focus and dealing with the ups and downs of this exam.

I plan to continue with this until the test! :smile:

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    6045 karma

I started to take time off... since Tuesday. The first two days were spent feeling super guily but I was also thoroughly exhausted. I just started stalking the forums and help section on 7sage because I don't know what else to do without LSAT taking up a huge chunk of time. But I've been going out with friends the past couple of days and social outings are really good for the soul. Aside from that, I've watched some random movies on netflix, read a little, and painted. It's weird but I usually try to plan my free time in a way to maximize it while studying, does anyone else do that? So for this break, I'm trying to just go with the flow and not have a list I'm trying to get through while I relax.

• btownsqueebtownsquee Alum Member
    1207 karma

Taking time off whenever I have that burnout feeling (just a day of using that extra time for watching a mindless TV show helps me), consistent gym/Brazilian jiu jitsu schedule (at least 3 times a week), studying ~2 hours during the work week since I work full time, and resting adequately on the weekends (I study ~3 hours on Saturday and ~4 hours on Sunday). I also avoid scheduling too much friend time since that burns me out- (#introvertlife)-I'll see my friends once a week on a day on which I've finished studying already. :)

• lTexlawzlTexlawz Free Trial Member
    edited April 2018 277 karma

I am sitting for June 2018 LSAT. I am not burned out at all. What I did was test on the books that certain colors to try to match with the holidays. For example, St. Patty's day I used the only green color LSAT books, 63,68,74,76. I take a PT every other day and do the regular study for each of the sections every other day and take Friday off. This has been a winning strategy for me so far.

• Hamaseh_SHamaseh_S Alum Member
    436 karma

@"Habeas Porpoise" said:
    Hey Hamaseh!

Totally get burnout. These weeks have been going fine for me though, since I took a solid break last month. My productivity was dropping at home though, so I started going to coffee shops/the library again.

I've also been taking more walks. The weather where I am (Pacific Northwest) is pretty mild right now, not too sunny and not the usual rainy, which is just how I like it. The air feels fresh and it's perfect to clear my head while studying. I've been listening to podcasts, audiobooks, music. I've also taken my headphones out to just appreciate the sounds of nature (and cars).

I also run a few days a week (my preferred form of exercise), but I usually have to change for a run so I'm reluctant to go do so when I'm studying. So now I usually run in the morning before I start or at the end of the day.

Lastly, I've been reading more. I love reading, and I sort of stopped while studying for the LSAT, since I struggle to put good books down once I've started. Plus, I prefer fiction (contemporary/mystery/suspense/fantasy), which isn't particularly helpful for this test. But I've been letting myself get in at least a half hour a day to just enjoy reading and it's helped with my mood.

Oh, and of course, meditation. I only spend about 5-10 minutes in the morning or the evening (which my mom's super happy about it, since she always urged me to spend at least a few minutes while I was growing up. I was a bratty kid that didn't listen, unfortunately, but at least I'm doing it now!), but it's helped with my focus and dealing with the ups and downs of this exam.

I plan to continue with this until the test! :smile:

You sound like you have such a balanced life! I love it :)

I decided to spend this weekend just reading and since I have the whole weekend I don't need to put the book down :) Although I totally get your struggle... during LSAT prep I normally try to stick to magazines or essays so I have a definite end point that doesn't interfere with my schedule. I've enjoyed reading The New Yorker.

What podcasts do you listen to?? I love Invisibilia, Impact Theory, Ear Hustle, and Up First but I want to find some more

436 karma

@btownsquee said:
    Taking time off whenever I have that burnout feeling (just a day of using that extra time for watching a mindless TV show helps me), consistent gym/Brazilian jiu jitsu schedule (at least 3 times a week), studying ~2 hours during the work week since I work full time, and resting adequately on the weekends (I study ~3 hours on Saturday and ~4 hours on Sunday). I also avoid scheduling too much friend time since that burns me out- (#introvertlife)-I'll see my friends once a week on a day on which I've finished studying already. :)

omg #introvertlife all the way!! I told my brother I was burned out and wanted to take the weekend off so he suggested going to Tahoe with my friends and I was like I said I need to rest not do more work >.< hahha I love my friends, but the introvert struggle is real

436 karma

@lTexlawz said:
    I am sitting for June 2018 LSAT. I am not burned out at all. What I did was test on the books that certain colors to try to match with the holidays. For example, St. Patty's day I used the only green color LSAT books, 63,68,74,76. I take a PT every other day and do the regular study for each of the sections every other day and take Friday off. This has been a winning strategy for me so far.

Daymmmm you take a PT every other day??? I take like 1-2 weeks btwn PTs cause I have so much ground to cover in each one hahahha

Dope strategy, that sounds fun. What's your color for April? Maybe do blue for April showers and then Pink in May for May flowers :smiley:

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    2689 karma

I always feel so guilty taking time off from studying. It's damn hard working, being a mom, and keeping up with my classes, especially around holidays. But I find sometimes the time away lets my mind digest the lessons. Tonight, after having another break of a couple days, I just whipped out some new sections to get back into things. For the first freaking time ever, I got all my questions right. I need to work on my time management a little better, but I have never gone -0 on LG sections I have never encountered before. When I checked my answers, I found that one game was particularly difficult, and even had a question at the extreme end of difficultly. I about burst into happy tears, no lie. Things seem to click better when I give my mind a chance to rest.
    Give yourself one weekend. Just one. Or even just one day where you don't even look at it. Get some stuff done around the house. Do some shopping. Come back to your studies and see if it helped or hindered. Then, you'll know. One day off won't destroy your score.
    While I still feel guilty about it, the time off (planned or unplanned) is helping my sanity, I think.
    I'm also signed up for June.

• Habeas PorpoiseHabeas Porpoise Alum Member Sage
    1866 karma

@Hamaseh_S said:

I decided to spend this weekend just reading and since I have the whole weekend I don't need to put the book down :) Although I totally get your struggle... during LSAT prep I normally try to stick to magazines or essays so I have a definite end point that doesn't interfere with my schedule. I've enjoyed reading The New Yorker.

What podcasts do you listen to?? I love Invisibilia, Impact Theory, Ear Hustle, and Up First but I want to find some more

I'm trying, lol! I'm studying full-time now, so I'm doing my best to use my time well.

Oh yeah, articles are great! Actually for podcasts, the one I listen to most consistently now is NYT's The Daily. I also enjoy NPR's Planet Money, Politics (includes members of Up First), Hidden Brain, ATL's Thinking Like a Lawyer, and RadioLab's More Perfect.
    I'll have to check those out; I've been meaning to listen to Invisibilia.

• teamteamvicsterteamteamvicster Alum Member
    774 karma

RadioLab's more perfect is a fantastic podcast!
    Hi Hamaseh! You made me nervous by reminding me we only have 10 weeks! Ah so soon! I totally feel you on the burn out and the guilt that taking a break includes. I think it's important to keep a balance. I joined a rock gym and have been climbing every day. It's a fun way to work out, AND it greatly increases my chances to get Michelle Obama arms.
    I believe it's okay to let yourself breathe. Take a break, take care of yourself and dive back in with full energy and focus. <3

• ShownuffShownuff Alum Member
    222 karma

Working out at the gym daily.

436 karma

@teamteamvicster said:
    RadioLab's more perfect is a fantastic podcast!
    Hi Hamaseh! You made me nervous by reminding me we only have 10 weeks! Ah so soon! I totally feel you on the burn out and the guilt that taking a break includes. I think it's important to keep a balance. I joined a rock gym and have been climbing every day. It's a fun way to work out, AND it greatly increases my chances to get Michelle Obama arms.
    I believe it's okay to let yourself breathe. Take a break, take care of yourself and dive back in with full energy and focus. <3

Hahah noooooo!!! Don't be nervous, you'll do so great :) :)

Also I heard rock climbing so awesome for stress relief and mental focus.... I'm really considering trying it out. Really hope you get to Michelle Obama's arms even though I have no idea what that has to do with rock climbing :smiley:

436 karma

@Shownuff said:
    Working out at the gym daily.

sammmmeeee. what's your fav thing to do at the gym. I used to be super into jump roping but recently I've been all about the treadmill (weird, I know). I do 30 minutes uphill walk, 10 minutes of side lunges on an incline, and 10 minutes walking backwards on highest incline. Running makes my asthma act up so this is what I do instead lol

wbuuu, I love learning about people's gym routines

436 karma

@"Habeas Porpoise" said:

@Hamaseh_S said:

I'm trying, lol! I'm studying full-time now, so I'm doing my best to use my time well.

Oh yeah, articles are great! Actually for podcasts, the one I listen to most consistently now is NYT's The Daily. I also enjoy NPR's Planet Money, Politics (includes members of Up First), Hidden Brain, ATL's Thinking Like a Lawyer, and RadioLab's More Perfect.
    I'll have to check those out; I've been meaning to listen to Invisibilia.

Omg I am going to check all these out I'm so excited :smiley:

edited April 2018 436 karma

So just wanted to update! This weekend I spent off LSAT studies and I'm so glad I did!!

Saturday I spent the day reading Man's Search for Meaning, I got a deep tissue massage (still sore lol) and splurged on Fashionnova :blush:

Yesterday I went to the lake, found a secluded area, spent 5 hours reading, tanning, sitting in the water, meditating, etc. It was soooo nice. Then I went to a coffee shop and finished my book (Book about Sufism). Came home, watched Flint Town on Netflix, started reading the Alchemist, and slept.

Woke up today, had a huge breakfast, did a test anxiety meditation, now I'm responding to this forum and then going to take 2 PTs!!

I feel really good you guys but I've decided to keep this up for one day a week to avoid burnout. Also, I am so thankful I made this post, I love talking to you guys you are such great motivation and so positive <3

Also check these out

Positive Affirmations
    - https://open.spotify.com/track/5gF94lapNpSPSl6Sw6C9ve

Guided Meditation
    -

436 karma

@xadrianas6x said:
    I always feel so guilty taking time off from studying. It's damn hard working, being a mom, and keeping up with my classes, especially around holidays. But I find sometimes the time away lets my mind digest the lessons. Tonight, after having another break of a couple days, I just whipped out some new sections to get back into things. For the first freaking time ever, I got all my questions right. I need to work on my time management a little better, but I have never gone -0 on LG sections I have never encountered before. When I checked my answers, I found that one game was particularly difficult, and even had a question at the extreme end of difficultly. I about burst into happy tears, no lie. Things seem to click better when I give my mind a chance to rest.
    Give yourself one weekend. Just one. Or even just one day where you don't even look at it. Get some stuff done around the house. Do some shopping. Come back to your studies and see if it helped or hindered. Then, you'll know. One day off won't destroy your score.
    While I still feel guilty about it, the time off (planned or unplanned) is helping my sanity, I think.
    I'm also signed up for June.

Okay first off, super kudos to you for being a mom and doing this. My mom also went back to school when my brother and I were very little. She tells me stories of how hard it was for her and I'm sure she suffered a lot and wanted to give up plenty of times.... but I'll tell you, as the child of someone in your position, we look up to parents like you. I will forever be in awe of my mom for working so hard and getting an education while raising kids. I was very young when she went to school but over my 23 years of life I've been able to watch her progress in her professional journey and watch her rise to incredible success. My respect for her is so deep because she was brave enough to take on both tasks and I am so sure your kids, no matter what their age, do or will feel the same way. They will also learn first hand the importance of education, perseverance, and grit. Moms who go to school and raise their kids are a special breed of strong... keep going you got this :)

Congrats on your success with the LG section!!

6045 karma

@Hamaseh_S I took almost a week off and honestly I feel like a new person. Are you doing 2 PT's today? Isn't that a lot?

436 karma

@keets993 said:
    @Hamaseh_S I took almost a week off and honestly I feel like a new person. Are you doing 2 PT's today? Isn't that a lot?

That's so awesome I'm glad you're rested... imagine what it's ganna feel like after the test is done!

Yaaaa okay so the reason I'm taking 2 PTs is to practice a strategy that I heard from @"Seeking Perfection". Take 2 PTs in one day with 15 min break in between once a week, spend the week BRing. I want to build my stamina bc I have the attention span of a gold fish. Also I already take a week or sometimes more between PTs so I haven't taken that many so far and I want to have more material to work with

6045 karma

Yaaaa okay so the reason I'm taking 2 PTs is to practice a strategy that I heard from @"Seeking Perfection". Take 2 PTs in one day with 15 min break in between once a week, spend the week BRing. I want to build my stamina bc I have the attention span of a gold fish. Also I already take a week or sometimes more between PTs so I haven't taken that many so far and I want to have more material to work with

Oh wow, I've never heard that strategy before let me know how it goes! Do you BR the second PT too? I'd be so curious to see which one goes better for you. From what I've seen on the forum @"Seeking Perfection" is probably one of the best people to get advice from.

436 karma

@keets993 said:

Oh wow, I've never heard that strategy before let me know how it goes! Do you BR the second PT too? I'd be so curious to see which one goes better for you. From what I've seen on the forum @"Seeking Perfection" is probably one of the best people to get advice from.

I just finished my brain is fried I just want to go to chipotle and drown in some sour cream

Yes I'm going to BR both! I'll let you know how it goes this week

• ShownuffShownuff Alum Member
    222 karma

Hey Hamaseh, I take gym classes like TRX & Bootcamp weekly. Swimming is a great precursor to weight training -which I try to do at least twice a week. If you didn't have asthma, I'd say try heavy rope training, but Rip Trainer is a great substitute -both will get your heart rate up while helping you strength train at the same time. Mornings when I exercise/hit the gym help me get focused, and nights help me blow off steam. Hope this all helps!

• s_jrickes_jricke Alum Member
    360 karma

Personally, I try to go the park and shoot a basketball a few times a week for a couple of hours. Just like the LSAT, i'm constantly trying to improve my shot on the court. I go out and shoot at least a hundred free throws and jump shots by myself while listening to various podcasts. It's great for clearing my mind and the free throws especially help me when it comes to repeating the same thing over and over and perfecting it, which is what you have to do to study for the LSAT.

I can stand there at the free throw line, think about all of the shooting mechanics involved in shooting a perfect shot, focus on the rim and apply all the mechanics in my shot. Then just rinse and repeat about a hundred times. You have to do the same thing on the LSAT. Once you know the mechanics you simply have to focus and apply them. Just shooting free throws is a great way to take some time off from studying, but it also keeps my mind solid as a rock by approaching my shot the same way I approach the test.

360 karma

Also, I'm really considering taking a vacation to California next month. I would still hopefully take a test or two while out there, but you've got to do stuff to clear your head once in awhile. I think of it like working out. You have to do the workout to get in shape and build muscle, but your body incorporates those beneficial effects best during the periods in which you are resting (right after the workout and during deep sleep).

I mean, if you workout in the morning and do the same workout at night, then you're not going to see the same results after your second workout. If you workout as hard as you can though and take a day off, then you will see consistent improvement with each successive workout. At least that has been my experience with the LSAT and workouts, in general.

436 karma

@Shownuff said:
    Hey Hamaseh, I take gym classes like TRX & Bootcamp weekly. Swimming is a great precursor to weight training -which I try to do at least twice a week. If you didn't have asthma, I'd say try heavy rope training, but Rip Trainer is a great substitute -both will get your heart rate up while helping you strength train at the same time. Mornings when I exercise/hit the gym help me get focused, and nights help me blow off steam. Hope this all helps!

Thanks for the suggestions!! I used to do Rip Trainer when I trained at a boxing gym... excuse me but that shit is damn hard ahahah and the asthma sucks

Speaking of - it sounds like you would like boxing!! You should try, it's a lot of fun :)

436 karma

@s_jricke said:
    Also, I'm really considering taking a vacation to California next month. I would still hopefully take a test or two while out there, but you've got to do stuff to clear your head once in awhile. I think of it like working out. You have to do the workout to get in shape and build muscle, but your body incorporates those beneficial effects best during the periods in which you are resting (right after the workout and during deep sleep).

I mean, if you workout in the morning and do the same workout at night, then you're not going to see the same results after your second workout. If you workout as hard as you can though and take a day off, then you will see consistent improvement with each successive workout. At least that has been my experience with the LSAT and workouts, in general.

I love your understanding of LSAT training. It sounds like you've got the right work/rest mindset to avoid burnout and get you focus while studying.

Where in California would you like to visit? I live in N. California (raised in Bay Area, currently live in Sac) and am happy to DM suggestions for places to see if you come here!

360 karma

@Hamaseh_S said:

@s_jricke said:

I love your understanding of LSAT training. It sounds like you've got the right work/rest mindset to avoid burnout and get you focus while studying.

Where in California would you like to visit? I live in N. California (raised in Bay Area, currently live in Sac) and am happy to DM suggestions for places to see if you come here!

I've got a buddy out in San Francisco right now, so that's probably where I would go. I took about a two week trip to Vegas last summer and when I got back to taking tests I was so refreshed and ready. It's like, you wouldn't know "up" if you didn't know "down." In the same way, it's hard to know how you have to think on the LSAT if you don't know what not thinking like that looks like. Sorry, if that's confusing lol. It made sense in my head.