Waitlist...any tips?

rps_usernamerps_username Free Trial Member

I'm waitlisted at my top choice. Not accepted anywhere. I'm already studying for a June retake, about to submit my LOCI tonight, and will have an additional LOR sent next week. What else should I be doing? Should I visit again? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• LSATislandLSATisland Free Trial Inactive Sage
    1878 karma

I wouldn't visit a second time. You seem to have communicated your interest satisfactorily via visit and letter. I hope you get the decision you want.

• grace.tang.cagrace.tang.ca Free Trial Member
    77 karma

Literally sit tight and don't lose hope! There are many people who are admitted to multiple schools, and will be withdrawing. I'll be withdrawing from 6 T14 Schools and 2 T20 schools along with 3 T14 waitlists in a few days! All with at least 75K in scholarships. More people make it off the waitlist than you might think. Best of luck! What is your top choice by the way @spahnnster ?

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

@spahnnster said:
    I'm waitlisted at my top choice. Not accepted anywhere. I'm already studying for a June retake, about to submit my LOCI tonight, and will have an additional LOR sent next week. What else should I be doing? Should I visit again? Thanks in advance!

Those seem like good things. I don't think another visit is probably necessary. They might not even notice and it will distract from studying for your retake.> @"grace.tang.ca" said:

Literally sit tight and don't lose hope! There are many people who are admitted to multiple schools, and will be withdrawing. I'll be withdrawing from 6 T14 Schools and 2 T20 schools along with 3 T14 waitlists in a few days! All with at least 75K in scholarships. More people make it off the waitlist than you might think. Best of luck! What is your top choice by the way @spahnnster ?

I did hear that people are applying to more options now than they used to which could lead to more motion off of waitlists.

• rps_usernamerps_username Free Trial Member
    11 karma

Thanks for the enouragement, @"lsatisland", @"grace.tang.ca", and @"Seeking Perfection"!

My first choice school is UNC. I'm way below their medians, so I'm honestly surprised that they didn't straight up ding me. I only applied to schools in NC state, for personal reasons. I'm also a nontraditional student so it's been many years since I studied for anything!

edited April 2018 4423 karma

@rbfqueen said:
    Thanks for the enouragement, @"lsatisland", @"grace.tang.ca", and @"Seeking Perfection"!

My first choice school is UNC. I'm way below their medians, so I'm honestly surprised that they didn't straight up ding me. I only applied to schools in NC state, for personal reasons. I'm also a nontraditional student so it's been many years since I studied for anything!

Below both medians to a waitlist probably means they like you. So if you get your LSAT up to the median maybe they will take you. It seems like you can write a letter of continued interest now, a letter stating you are retaking in June and restating your continued interest later, and finally a letter after your June results restating your interest and updating them on how it went.

Good luck on the retake and getting off the waitlist!

• rps_usernamerps_username Free Trial Member
    11 karma

@"Seeking Perfection" Thanks so much again for the advice!

A few questions...I already sent in my LOCI. I decided not to mention my intent to retake. For one, I'm not registered yet (want to wait and see how my prep goes over the next couple of weeks) and I also don't want them to wait until July to make a decision about me if 1) they were already going to accept me and 2) in case I don't end up improving my score. My softs are very strong. Do you think I should just inform them once I register, and risk them holding out on me for my new score?

I'm expecting the prep to go well, as I've identified some weaknesses in my previous prep strategy. I'm just trying to be realistic.

4423 karma

@rbfqueen said:
    @"Seeking Perfection" Thanks so much again for the advice!

A few questions...I already sent in my LOCI. I decided not to mention my intent to retake. For one, I'm not registered yet (want to wait and see how my prep goes over the next couple of weeks) and I also don't want them to wait until July to make a decision about me if 1) they were already going to accept me and 2) in case I don't end up improving my score. My softs are very strong. Do you think I should just inform them once I register, and risk them holding out on me for my new score?

I'm expecting the prep to go well, as I've identified some weaknesses in my previous prep strategy. I'm just trying to be realistic.

I'm no expert, but if I were you I might sort of try to have it both ways. Wait a while to tell them in case you get in without it.

Then fairly close to the June test inform them you are planning to take it to help strengthen your application to UNC. You want them to find out from you not LSAC and by then you probably will be looking for an excuse to contact them anyway.

Finally, send them an email as soon as you get your score if it is a score increase.

As far as studying for the retake goes I can't recommend foolproofing enough if you are not close to perfect on games. It helps to at least have one section down really solid and you can get there in games with foolproofing.

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    3072 karma

@"Seeking Perfection" said:
    It helps to at least have one section down really solid and you can get there in games with foolproofing.

Great advice. Securing my LG score really helped me to have confidence in my abilities. This confidence transferred readily to LR preparation.