Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Law School Interviews

BrittanyBBrittanyB Alum Member
in General 20 karma
Hi there! Has anyone here had the experience of interviewing for a law school? One of the schools I'm applying to has interviews and since it's not the norm, I can't find much on the topic.

If you have interviewed, could you tell me what it was like and what kinds of questions they asked? Was it comparable somewhat to a job interview?

And what kinds of questions, if any, should I be asking them? I'm a little nervous for it so words of wisdom would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Comments

• Marie4lawschoolMarie4lawschool Alum Member
    359 karma
    @BrittanyB -- I skype interviewed with Northwestern Law for their accelerated JD program and it all proceeded very pleasantly. I actually felt it to be somewhat formulaic as the interviewer clearly was using a standard set of interview questions, which is understandable in terms of comparing responses from one candidate to another.

I was asked a few questions about teamwork, leadership style, and how I'd deal with conflict. I imagine this relates to most law schools trying to create a more collaborative than competitive community feel.

I'd definitely recommend having a couple of questions to ask at the end. As an older applicant, I asked what the admissions interviewer would anticipate to be the greatest challenge I'd face coming to law school, which she said was a great question. (Funnily enough, she said it would probably be dealing with younger students, which amused me as I'm Deputy Director of a K12 American international school and spend my life interacting with young people!)

Perhaps you could ask about concentrations or what does the interviewer think makes their law school distinctive because of the students they select (I asked the latter too).

Good luck! I'd be interested to hear how it goes!
  • BrittanyBBrittanyB Alum Member
    20 karma
    @Marie4lawschool Thank you so much! This is so helpful. I'm glad to know your interview went well, it gives me hope for mine!
  • joegotbored-1joegotbored-1 Alum Member
    802 karma
    @BrittanyB I was asked to interview at WUSTL. The opening question was Tell us a bit about yourself, followed by Why Law? and then Why WUSTL?

I asked about the area around WUSTL, how it would be without a car, what summer spots might be available to someone like me (very unusual type of PI work), and how I might fit in as an older student.

The interviewer was super friendly and answered all my questions. He knew the area really well and shared that knowledge with me.

I'm told they're usually making sure you can interact properly (read social cues, etc.) without dominating a conversation. The other thing they're looking for is to make sure your enthusiasm for law school, and theirs in particular, is authentic.

I had my application in front of me to calm my nerves in case I started to freeze and needed a bit of help, but I didn't need it.

You'll be fine!
  • Nilesh SNilesh S Alum Inactive ⭐
    3438 karma
    I had a couple last year with Northwestern and Chicago (by invite). Some standard ones could be any of the following: Why law? Why now?, Why this school?, What do you intend to do with your law degree?, What is the one area where you thing you can make a change? They will also ask questions related to your SOP. Be calm, cool and collected. Dress up as you would for an interview if it is going to be via Skype, make sure that you are in a quiet location and as @Marie4lawschool said when they give you the chance to ask questions, ask thoughtful questions which you would not be able to get answers for from the website.
  • BrittanyBBrittanyB Alum Member
    20 karma
    @"joegotbored-1" @"Nilesh S" Thank you so much! It sounds like it shouldn't be too bad. It is through Skype so I think that will make me less nervous and more calm and collected as you said. I'll definitely have my app in front of me too. Thanks again!!