Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Splitter 3.2/174, where should I apply?

westher008westher008 Alum Member

I know it's early in the season, but I'm compiling a list of schools to apply to.
I attended a school that has no grade inflation, so my GPA isn't very high. However, with my LSAT, what tier schools would I have a chance at attending? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    edited April 2018 3072 karma

You are a pretty extreme splitter, so I would apply to all T14, and at least 5 outside the T20 to be safe.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Seconding @goingfor99th 's advice. Splitters have super unpredictable cycles so you should plan on applying very very broadly. T14, any additional T20s you'd be interested in, and a few safeties outside of the T20.

Do you have any specific goals or regions you want to be in?

• LastLSATLastLSAT Alum Member
    edited April 2018 1028 karma

Do you have substantial work experience? If so, Northwestern ED might be worth a shot. Guaranteed $150k scholarship, and they are known to be relatively splitter friendly.

WUSTL is also known to throw big money at high LSATs. Since your GPA is at their 25th, yet your LSAT is far above their 75th, they are probably a solid choice for you too. Their ED guarantees a full-ride, if you'd be interested.

Of course, you'd be competitive across the T20 and maybe lower T14 if you don't want to commit to either one of those options.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

I would definitely recommend throwing an app to WUSTL.

Also don't let this discourage you or lower your aims, but this might help predict your cycle.
    http://mylsn.info/9r38xz/

• westher008westher008 Alum Member
    37 karma

@"Leah M B" said:
    Seconding @goingfor99th 's advice. Splitters have super unpredictable cycles so you should plan on applying very very broadly. T14, any additional T20s you'd be interested in, and a few safeties outside of the T20.

Do you have any specific goals or regions you want to be in?

I'm interested in public interest law, intellectual property law, and international law and have been looking at schools outside the T20 for their specializations.

• Accounts PlayableAccounts Playable Live Sage
    3107 karma

You'll most likely get a T14 to bite based off the LSAT alone...assuming you apply early in the cycle (work experience and removal from your GPA helps too if applicable). If you are URM, the chances of a T14 go up to 100%. I say an app to at least all the T14 outside of YHS are worth it (YHS seem to have hard GPA floors based off LSN), but you never know. An ED app to schools that guarantee money (such as NU) may be worth it if you are elastic as to where you attend.

Just a side note, IP law is an easier sell if you have a STEM like degree (and you can maybe tailor a story around your GPA around that if possible). Also, international law in the sense that most people think doesn't really exist; international law mainly consists of transacational/tax work at a Big Law firm.

• Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    3521 karma

All T14.

Prolly have a decent shot at Columbia.

• JPJ July2021JPJ July2021 Core Member
    1532 karma

Splitters are always unpredictable. Apply anywhere you want. I would blanket the T14.

• JPJ July2021JPJ July2021 Core Member
    1532 karma

What was your study schedule like to get a 174? How long did it take you?

• westher008westher008 Alum Member
    37 karma

@Emily2122 said:
    What was your study schedule like to get a 174? How long did it take you?

I studied for 5 months straight, beginning with a 158 for my diagnostic. Treated it like a full-time job (8 hours a day for the first two months) focusing on logic games the most. I made sure to take at least 6 practice tests a month.

• olepuebloolepueblo Alum Member
    235 karma

Congrats on the LSAT score! You should apply everywhere you'd be happy attending!