Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

if i quit my job to study

in General 316 karma

I applied this year but did not get the results/LSAT score I was hoping for. I was thinking about quitting my job so I can full focus on the LSAT. I currently work at a consulting firm focused on litigation and the hours and the amount of networking/office politics is exhausting.

My question is, if I quit, would that look terrible on my resume when I reapply? I was here for two years, and was at a finance firm for a year before that. What do yall think? Am I overthinking?

Comments

• EvetteCeeEvetteCee Alum Member
    224 karma

Quitting your job to be able to dedicate more time on the LSAT sounds like a smart decision and I don't think it would make your resume look bad.

I do recommend you look for places to volunteer (a few hours a week) while you're unemployed, so that you can add that to your resume. More softs never hurt anyone.

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    2531 karma

It depends on how long you intend to study full-time. I'd say 3-4 months of full time study is a good amount for any person. Don't quit for an entire year though. I seriously doubt that studying for a full year full time is even possible

• 316 karma

@Ohnoeshalpme said:
    It depends on how long you intend to study full-time. I'd say 3-4 months of full time study is a good amount for any person. Don't quit for an entire year though. I seriously doubt that studying for a full year full time is even possible

oh no, I am planning on studying full time probably until the July or September test. Afterwards, I was planning on finding something else to do. I'm just wondering if that three month gap is going to look strange to law schools

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

A few months of a gap on your resume won't make a difference. A higher LSAT score, even if it's only a couple points higher, sure will though!

• annewr253annewr253 Alum Member
    edited May 2018 439 karma

@Alex I completely agree! While working my mundane job that often required overtime, I was attempting to study but not truly seeing the progress nor did I have the significant time to study the way this test requires. Fast forward to today, I've been studying for the last 3 months full time and wow!!! It has been a tedious journey, but the progress has been well worth it. Your resume will be fine and I agree with @EvetteCee on the volunteering piece, I volunteer with a couple dif orgs weekly. I think it comes down to this for some: If you are in a place that allows to be financially secure while your studying full time, take the opportunity, your resume will not be damaged for 3 months! Commit the time, it will be fruitful come test day.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

You could always ask if you could take a three month leave of absence. If they say no which is probably most likely you are back where you started. If they say yes then you have a job for when you are done with the LSAT and waiting for your application results to come in.

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    1777 karma

I actually did that! I'm living off of savings all summer, and I'm so grateful that I have this time to study. It also motivates me to study "full time hours" because I don't want to feel like I gave up my income for nothing. I don't think a gap on your resume will matter.

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    2531 karma

@"Seeking Perfection" said:
    You could always ask if you could take a three month leave of absence. If they say no which is probably most likely you are back where you started. If they say yes then you have a job for when you are done with the LSAT and waiting for your application results to come in.

this is a good idea