Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

7Sage Daily Study amount

mgro1996mgro1996 Alum Member
in General 7 karma

I'm aiming to take the LSAT in September and am curious as to how many hours a day and how many days a week would be required to get a good score. I don't want to burn myself out but I also want to make sure I am doing enough daily to be prepared. I am considering the November as my backup test date too.

Comments

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

It really depends on a lot of factors. Where are you starting from (diagnostic score) and where you want to end up (goal score). And everyone is different on how long it takes you to improve. It’s not really something you can predict very much, but if you can tell us what your diagnostic is and preferably also what your score break down for each section is, we might be able to guess about your odds of achieving it in that timeframe.

For what it’s worth, most people begin studying for the LSAT under the impression that it takes a lot less time than it actually does. But it is a learnable test, and if you allow yourself enough time, you’re likely to reach your goal at some point.

• pasu1223pasu1223 Alum Member
    109 karma

I think this is a really hard balance to strike.

I've found that for myself the majority if not all of my actual learning occurs on review. If you're not reviewing tests thoroughly then you're missing opportunities.

For me I quit my job to study full time for a bit and I usually get in 6 or so hours a day 5ish days a week. However, I find there are diminishing returns and the first couple hours of focus are the most productive. If you don' have the luxury of studying a lot I would say keeping the information fresh and trying to do something most days of the week is the way to go.

Probably also depends a lot on how much you're trying to improve. The first few points probably come easier than LSAT points higher up. The average improvement people say is 10 LSAT points or so I hear. Improving more than that is very achievable as many awesome 7sagers have done it, but the common thread it seems is they devoted a lot of time to doing that.

• TexAgAaronTexAgAaron Alum Member
    1723 karma

As someone who works part time. I usually try to get about 4 hours a day, six days a week. I work at night as a server so I go in about 4 or 5pm. I usually have found that after about 4 hours, I start to loose focus pretty bad.

Everyone is different though. Been doing this for over a year, with a ton of major life speed bumps along the way so there is no cookie cutter way about it. @"Leah M B" and @pasu1223 have great points on this! I just made a 10 point jump the other day after a long time of studying/battling test anxiety issues and I believe I can easily go higher. The 10 point limit theory, in my opinion, is not true. Plenty of great stories on here where someone made a point jump way higher than 10 points from their diagnostic.

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma

I did 3-4 hours with a 20 minute break. I also couldn’t study late at night so I mostly stuck to mornings

• mgro1996mgro1996 Alum Member
    7 karma

Thank you all for the responses, it is very helpful. I took the LSAT last september and in February after taking a Kaplan prep course in the summer and only scored a 144. I was taking classes during the summer and fall along with the prep course. I am done with school now so my main focus is just studying, only working every other weekend. I think I am taking the diagnostic tomorrow. My goal would be to score around a 160.