Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Differentiation between premise and context

shegotitshegotit Member
in General 211 karma

How do you differentiate between the context and the premise? Do you always have to have a premise indicator in order to have a premise?

Comments

• brigittebrigitte Free Trial Member
    432 karma

Premises are reasons that support the conclusion. No, you do not always have to have a premise indicator. You have to think about the content of the sentences and how they relate to the conclusion. If it's something the author is pointing to as a reason for the conclusion, it's support and not merely context.

• testfromawaytestfromaway Alum Member
    280 karma

A premise indicator is sufficient to indicate the presence of a premise, but it is not necessary! Context is the text within the argument that fills in the spaces around the argument, but it doesn't do the work of linking premises to conclusion. If you ID the conclusion of an argument and ask yourself "why is this true?" the portions of the stimulus that answer that question are the premises.

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

The above posts are definitely correct a premise does not always have to have an indicator and I've found the toughest questions don't have them but a lot of times there are key words that introduce the premise, the conclusion and context. I jotted down these notes from a lesson from the syllabus:

Premise indicators:
    given that
    seeing that
    for the reason that
    inasmuch as
    owing to
    as indicated by
    after all,
    on the grounds that

Conclusion indicators:
    consequently
    therefore
    as a result of
    so
    it follows that
    accordingly
    we may conclude
    entails that
    hence
    thus
    we may infer that
    it must be that
    implies that
    that is why

Premise indicators (usually with a conclusion):
    For
    Since
    Because

Context indicators (when switching to argument):
    But
    However
    Although
    'Some [...] say'

• NovLSAT2019NovLSAT2019 Alum Member
    edited June 2018 620 karma

Hmm... good question...

Revisiting the lessons from the "Introduction to Arguments" unit helped me with the second question.

For me, I look at the context as the frame of the world in which the argument takes place. I noticed that the context and the argument are sort of holistically connected to each other to form/provide a bigger and clearer picture of what's going on within the stimulus.

(Can I quote stuff from the practice tests? If not, I apologize!)

For example, this is from 2-2-12, a context might look something like:

"People have long been fascinated by the paranormal. Over the years, numerous researchers have investigated telepathy only to find that conclusive evidence for its existence has persistently evaded them. Despite this, there are still those who believe that there must be 'something in it' since some research seems to support the view that telepathy exists. However, it can often be shown that other explanations that do comply with known laws can be given. Therefore, it is premature to conclude that telepathy is an alternative means of communication."

Can you see how it provides a frame of reference for the subsequent conflicting views? Like, it gave some background information that works like a breadboard for the author and his/her opponent to construct functioning circuits for themselves. If you take away their breadboard, their circuits won't really function.

Basically,

This is the objective nature of what the world (X) is like right now.
    But some think (A) because (B).
    However, (C) weakens the relationship between (A) and (B).
    Therefore, the conclusion, within the context of the world (X), is (blah)."

I hope this helps.