Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Time Management & Motivation

Samantha.HSamantha.H Member
in General 26 karma

Hi Everyone!

I am currently having trouble keeping on track with my studying as well as staying motivated after getting home. I currently work 20+ hours a week plus taking summer classes. Are there any tips any of you have used to say motivated and on track with studying? Once I start studying I can get focused its just finding the time and motivation to start. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Best,

Samantha

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

I mostly study in the mornings before work.

Motivation is something that gets depleted during the day from work tasks, decision fatigue, and everyday life in general.

If and when I do study after work, which I probably do 2-3x a week, I will often go for a run or hit the gym before going home to study. Exercise is an important de-stressor and can help keep you motivated and focused.

I also read motivational literature and watch free motivational videos on YouTube just about every single day. As Zig Ziglar once famously said, "Motivation is like bathing, it doesn't last. You should do it daily."

• bobjon1293bobjon1293 Alum Member
    269 karma

@Alex said:

Motivation is something that gets depleted during the day from work tasks, decision fatigue, and everyday life in general.

If and when I do study after work, which I probably do 2-3x a week, I will often go for a run or hit the gym before going home to study. Exercise is an important de-stressor and can help keep you motivated and focused.

I also read motivational literature and watch free motivational videos on YouTube just about every single day. As Zig Ziglar once famously said, "Motivation is like bathing, it doesn't last. You should do it daily."

Alex, could you please share some of your favorite motivational speeches and books?

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited June 2018 23929 karma

@yezwaj__ said:

@Alex said:

Alex, could you please share some of your favorite motivational speeches and books?

Of course, dude!

A lot of the books I find the most motivational are actually biographies of successful entrepreneurs or focused on sales/business. So never be afraid to read something in that vein!

Here are some amazing, general motivational books that I think people should check out:

Managing Oneself – By Peter Drucker
    The One Thing – By Gary Keller
    Made in America – By Sam Walton
    The Decision Book – By Mikael Krogerus
    See You At The Top - By Zig Ziglar

Anything by Les Brown, Zig Ziglar, TD Jakes, Warren Buffet, or Gary Vee is who I primarily watch on YouTube. There are also some amazing lesser-known speakers on there as well. I just never remember their names, haha. Type in "motivation" and just start watching!

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

I've learned to set a schedule and stick to it no matter what. And then just take it one day at a time. If I think about an entire week of studying and working I want to give up but if I tell myself - ok its Tuesday that means two hours of studying after work and don't think any further except being successful in that moment it helps me get through the goal.

I also troll my favorite schools lol. Imaging myself there, admitted and ready for class is the greatest motivation.

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    edited June 2018 2531 karma

[deleted]

• testfromawaytestfromaway Alum Member
    280 karma

I work full time, so I feel you.

I wake up every morning and say "174" to myself. When I want to binge movies instead of studying, I think "174." When it's been an awful day and I don't want to do anything, I consider how much more awful my day would be if I opened my email after the exam and saw anything less than the score I know I could earn if I tried.

I also have tried to reimagine the LSAT as a game that I am able to win. All the questions are puzzles. PTs are competitions against the curve. It's gotten a bit fun that way, honestly.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Facts, bru! Sometimes I'm not even waking up early, I'm just going to bed late, haha.

• bobjon1293bobjon1293 Alum Member
    269 karma

@Alex said:

@yezwaj__ said:

@Alex said:

Of course, dude!

A lot of the books I find the most motivational are actually biographies of successful entrepreneurs or focused on sales/business. So never be afraid to read something in that vein!

Here are some amazing, general motivational books that I think people should check out:

Managing Oneself – By Peter Drucker
    The One Thing – By Gary Keller
    Made in America – By Sam Walton
    The Decision Book – By Mikael Krogerus
    See You At The Top - By Zig Ziglar

Anything by Les Brown, Zig Ziglar, TD Jakes, Warren Buffet, or Gary Vee is who I primarily watch on YouTube. There are also some amazing lesser-known speakers on there as well. I just never remember their names, haha. Type in "motivation" and just start watching!

Thank you for sharing!

• LCMama2017LCMama2017 Alum Member
    2134 karma

I have several motivational quotes posted throughout my office. I just printed out Brian Seo's post - check it out - he lists five things to keep you going. Its great.

I have this posted next to my computer - "There is no greater gift we can give to God than becoming what He always meant for us to be".

And I have this right above my computer - "Imagine what would happen if you didn't give up". This is a huge one for me and its what I think about every time I want to throw in the towel. I mean, imagine getting the score we want, going to our dream school and doing a job we love. I can't even wrap my head around it - its such a powerful saying for me. I just need to see what happens.

Good luck : ).

• 362 karma

Hello everyone,

I am also new to this as well. I’ve been having trouble with time management as well as i work full time and taking classes for my masters program. I get a little nervous because i really want to be in law school by next fall, but it’s been extremely tough for me to commit. Any suggestions? I know i can do it, it’s just my time management skills that i need help with.

• iamcardibriiamcardibri Alum Member
    314 karma

I was in the same situation last summer... taking three classes, working part-time, volunteering, and caring for my two kids. Studying seemed impossible some days! I wanted to take the December 2017 test but ended up postponing to February... Then to June... and now to July. What has helped the most for me was learning to let go of other things in my life. Sometimes what seems like a lack of "motivation" is really just a lack of time and energy after a long exhausting day! If you are here on 7sage posting in the discussion forum I would guess that you DO have the motivation within you :smile:

So for me, it has been creating the time to study by getting rid of the nonsense. I haven't been on any social media since November and I don't miss any of it AT ALL. I'm quite appalled at myself when I look back and see how much time I wasted worrying about other people or about my IG "aesthetic". If you are worried about missing important news, The Morning Edition on NPR will tell you everything you need to know in a 20 minute car ride.

Also, if you have the opportunity, try to take some time off from work... whatever you can afford to take off in the months leading up to your test will likely do some good. Finally, I have found that large amounts of coffee and gingko biloba supplements help lol! Disclaimer, I am not a medical doctor so take this advice at your own risk :smiley:

YOU CAN DO IT!!!

• Reissie73Reissie73 Member
    edited June 2018 81 karma

Totally right @iamcardibri, i did the same thing, and I couldn’t have said it better. In my case I was interning in China, part time teaching, taking other courses, and studying for the LSAT. When I came back I cut out all my worries and did some hard core self-comforting after my (failed) LSAT of last year December, and cutting out a ton of mental clutter was crucial for me to focus and keep going and not be discouraged. My motto after was “one thing at a time, well”. But this is because it’s already been a year of studying for me and I really wanted to hurry up to make it in time for this year. I’ve improved 8 points since March, and still could have a way to go, we’ll see how the June test goes.

Of course, if you can’t cut out, don’t be afraid that it takes more time, it’s not the end of the world, I dunno what your concerns are, but prolonging really isn’t usually a problem. Have patience.

Just remember to keep it up and when you don’t want to just tell yourself you’ll do “a little” studying (for ex 1 RC, or 2 games) and see how much you can muster after that. It’s usually enough to get me in the mood, and at worst, if you’re doing a little every day, you are actually progressing, no matter how slow.

I’d also suggest keeping the LSAT to the morning when your mind is in best shape. And self compassion, be nice to yourself when you are naughty (lol), but kick yourself in the ass to do more. Recognize when you start “frying” and take a step back, or realize that you’re slacking and give yourself a push, it’s a difficult balance.

• 362 karma

Thank you both!! Needed that!

• kwdardiskwdardis Alum Member
    155 karma

I say be real with yourself. Think about where you are and where you want to go. Envision it. Process the steps in your mind that you believe it will take to get there. Embrace the reality of what it takes to achieve your goal. It will always include focus, sacrifice and hard work. Always.

Ask yourself, what do you do in a day that keeps you from staying focused? Honestly think about that and decide what you need to eliminate. The reality is that you will likely have to limit socializing, watching tv, and scrolling social media. You have to make a schedule and commit to it. Law School will take time and dedication. If you can't make sacrifices, apply your time and dedication to studying for the LSAT, how are you going to do it for law school? When you are ready, you will be able to make the difficult decisions to cut out the fluff in your life and focus your mind and your time on that which is important to you. Think of studying for the LSAT as training for law school. If you do not have the time and energy right now, I say hold off until you can give it your best effort. Last of all, believe in yourself. Know that your effort and focus will get you to your goal. Believe it!

• 362 karma

@kwdardis that’s exactly what i am going to have to do! I refuse to be in this same spot next year! Thanks!

• annewr253annewr253 Alum Member
    edited June 2018 439 karma

I have to agree with @iamcardibri on the social media diet. This may not even apply to you, but if it does, then please consider it. It's not like I was an IG celeb or anything so I had no vested interest in it, but the time I would waste scrolling through TLs I could have been have putting that towards my improvement. Also, the mental clutter social media creates can be counter-productive when putting your best attention towards studying. I've replaced the social media with podcasts and that has been a great addition to my daily routine. Usually in the car while driving, or just some random moment I listen and they don't have to be LSAT related. Although I do listen to one that is called "Thinking LSAT" and a lot of personal development/motivational ones like Oprah's Supersoul Conversations, The Tim Ferris Show, and TD Jakes.

• beachykeenbeachykeen Alum Member
    15 karma

For me I think about one simple thing: the feeling of getting rejected from my dream law school is going to be way, way worse than getting up and studying right now. It's simple, but the daydream of bombing the LSAT when it was in my control is enough to get myself working despite fatigue.

• 362 karma

So it would probably be a bad idea to go through with taking the July test? I grasp some but not all but still have time to study. Or is that more of a personal approach? I thought about taking it just because it’s two more in September and November and i wanted to see how i tested. Or is the best route to just relax study more and prep until the September test? I know it’s a personal preference but just curious of the thoughts on it.

• kwdardiskwdardis Alum Member
    155 karma

In my opinion, that's a lot of money to spend just to see how you do on a test. If you do well on practice tests right now, maybe you should take the July test. However, if you actually want to score really well and you know you are not at that point, I would hold off. Save your money. Give studying an honest try and then take the test. As I've learned on this discussion board, it could be well worth your while to delay the exam and study because a good score can get you some serious $$$ in scholarship. If money or a concern with having debt is not a factor for you, then a very high score may not matter as much. But if money matters, it could really make a difference to study hard and do well on the exam.

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

@denzeljones14, One of the webinars recommends scoring in the range (which is generally 6 points, give or take) before sitting for the exam. Most of the time it's not a good idea to take it just to take it. Also, pace yourself to keep pushing through it, but study for a score, not a test date.

• 362 karma

@kwdardis @lsatplaylist you both are right! Extremely helpful! Thanks!

• Samantha.HSamantha.H Member
    26 karma

@LCMama2017 said:
    I have several motivational quotes posted throughout my office. I just printed out Brian Seo's post - check it out - he lists five things to keep you going. Its great.

I have this posted next to my computer - "There is no greater gift we can give to God than becoming what He always meant for us to be".

And I have this right above my computer - "Imagine what would happen if you didn't give up". This is a huge one for me and its what I think about every time I want to throw in the towel. I mean, imagine getting the score we want, going to our dream school and doing a job we love. I can't even wrap my head around it - its such a powerful saying for me. I just need to see what happens.

Good luck : ).

Thank you! I really like the idea of putting "Imagine what would happen if you didn't give up" just seeing that reminds me of all I want to accomplish and what I want to do and why. So i really appreciate that. Its very simple and to the point. So thanks again!